Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeffrey Valeroso 40 posts 101 karma points
    Jul 14, 2012 @ 17:58
    Jeffrey Valeroso

Problem with Umbraco site, it's loading too slow...help!

Often times I noticed that my umbraco intranet site starts loading too slow, it's around 2minutes or more..It's too alarming.I tried to ping the server but it's perfectly working...Is there a setup that I need to enable in IIS or is that something that I should work on the application pool or in umbraco site itself?..I badly need your help. Thanks

• Simon steed 374 posts 686 karma points
    Jul 14, 2012 @ 19:57
    Simon steed

Theres many things that can cause slowdowns but you need to post version, db setup, server spec etc as all these have a bearing. Could even be a crap host!

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Jul 15, 2012 @ 20:48
    Brendan Rice

I have seen it recently that the URLRewrite module was crippling a site and causing severe performance issues. It is probably worth invesigating that.

The only way you are going to be able to knolw for sure if it is fixed is to try replicate the problem locally, once you know what the issue is you will have a better idea of a fix.

Can you run it locally with the Umbraco debug files in the bin foolder then run a profiler against the code to see where the bottle neck is?

*Note* - it would be really worthwhile putting a wiki page together on how to debug performance issues, as they seem to come up more often.

Jul 16, 2012 @ 05:42
    Jeffrey Valeroso

Hi Brendan, the weird thing is that it's perfectly working on my local pc and on the development server. Probably because Im the only one accessing the site?

Hi Simon, Im using Umbraco 4.7, as per the server specs, we have a dedicated server but Im not sure about the full specs since we have an IT doing the admin and configuring the server. 

Is anybody here having the same problem?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 16, 2012 @ 10:31
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Jeffrey,

Would you be able to supply the following details please?

Which version of Umbraco are you using? (you mention 4.7, which exact version?)

Is the slow loading on the front-end website or the back-office admin?

How many content nodes do you have - approximately? (100, 1000, 10,000, more?)

Are you using any 3rd-party packages? (for either front-end website or back-office admin?)

Hopefully these questions can help us pin-point what the issue might be.

At the moment, my complete guess is that the front-end is using a Twitter macro?

Thanks, Lee.

Jul 16, 2012 @ 10:37
    Simon steed

As Brendan mentioned, try turning on debug and seeing what the stack traces give you, thats your starting point really to identify the macros causing the slowdown (if any). Also get your IT guy checking they have IIS setup correctly! Out of the box it should be good but with tweaking it should be even better.

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 00:59
    Brendan Rice

Not sure if this package will help but it might be worth installing:

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/uglimpse

http://getglimpse.com/

It will enable you to dig a bit deeper and hopefully point you in the right direction.

Jul 17, 2012 @ 03:52
    Jeffrey Valeroso

Hi Lee here's my reply

Which version of Umbraco are you using? (you mention 4.7, which exact version?)
    -it's Umbraco 4.7.1.1 

Is the slow loading on the front-end website or the back-office admin?
    -both 

How many content nodes do you have - approximately? (100, 1000, 10,000, more?)
    -currently It's around 300 

Are you using any 3rd-party packages? (for either front-end website or back-office admin?)
    no

Hi Brendan, here's the error that I got when I turned on umbracodebug=true

Master template is the same as the current template. It would cause an endless loop! Make sure that the current template ''Template with id: '-1' has another Master Template than itself. You can change this in the template editor under 'Settings'

Can you help me figure out the meaning of this?Basically I have a master mage and within that I have muiltiple sub master pages inheriting the main master page.

Hi Lee and Brendam, thanks for helping me out. 

Jul 17, 2012 @ 04:01
    Jeffrey Valeroso

It's weird that umbraco site itself does this kind of masterpage error http://umbraco.com/?redirected=true&umbDebugShowTrace=true

Pagedata loaded for Here is what you need (ID: 1064)
    0.059199888 0.000024
    template Master template is the same as the current template. It would cause an endless loop! Make sure that the current template ''Template with id: '-1' has another Master Template than itself. You can change this in the template editor under 'Settings'
  • Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 10:30
    Lee Kelleher

That error is a red-herring, I've seen it on a few other websites (with no performance impacts) ... believe it's a small bug in the Umbraco core.

@Jeffery, in the rest of the stack/trace, are there any parts which seem to be taking a long time to render/process? (You should notice a large number in the right-side column)

Cheers, Lee.

Jul 17, 2012 @ 12:11
    Jeffrey Valeroso

Hi Lee, as per checking XSLTSearch has the longest time 1.04534595 seconds.

XsltExtension Extension added: urn:PS.XSLTsearch, XSLTsearch 1.04534595 0.000022
    umbraco
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 13:34
    Simon steed

IF you disable XSLTSearch, does the performance improve? Also check the file permissions, had a site recently with poor front and backend performance (Amazon EC2) and some was resolved by resetting the incorrectly set permissions.

Jul 18, 2012 @ 03:15
    Jeffrey Valeroso

Hi Simon, I'll try to do that in a while, btw Im currently using windows authentication since my site is running as intranet portal. I was able to modify Umbraco's default authentication and as the users browse the site they are automatically identified.

Thanks Simon,

Jeffrey Valeroso
    Software Developer
    Philippines 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft