Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Newman 8 posts 28 karma points
    Oct 11, 2012 @ 20:14
    Martin Newman

I am playing with Runway in Umbraco teaching myself how it works. I am trying to undertand navigation and in particular multilevel menus.

My sunbmenus are behaving as if they have no href in my <a/> tags.

In a bid to underatnd what is happeing I have been playing aorund with the master. Here is my master code:

<div id="subNavigation">
    <ul><li><a href="/ssasass/second-level.aspx">Second level</a></li><li><a href="/ssasass/second-second-level.aspx">Second second level</a></li></ul>
    <umbraco:Macro Alias="umb2ndLevelNavigation" runat="server"></umbraco:Macro>
    </div>

The explicit <ul><li> sequence between the opening div tag and the <umbraco:Macro> link duplicates the code generated by the macro. When I view source when I open the page I see source that is as below

<div id="subNavigation">
    <ul><li><a href="/ssasass/second-level.aspx">Second level</a></li><li><a href="/ssasass/second-second-level.aspx">Second second level</a></li></ul>
    </div>

ie the explicit and generated <ul><li> sequence are identical. Yet only the first row of links is clickable. If I reverse the order of my explicit <ul><li> sequence with the <umbraco:Macro> it is still only the forst set of items that is clickable. But if I comment out either the explicit or the macros versions, no matter which is left in, the items are not clickable.

What IS going on?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 31, 2012 @ 17:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Martin - Welcome to our :)

It's been a while since I've been playing around with Runway myself but if I remember correctly it creates some dropdown menues, right? And if you're creating those static links with the same CSS and JavaScript attached to your static output there might be some z-index issues or other stuff happening, which might be the reason why you can't click the links from the "second row" of your code.

Hope this makes sense.

Have you been able to move on and get more into Umbraco since you made this post? How do you feel about it? :)

/Jan

• Martin Newman 8 posts 28 karma points
    Nov 01, 2012 @ 14:08
    Martin Newman

Many thanks for your reply.  I should have posted to say this did'lt matter anymore.  I managed to completely break the installation I had somewhow (all part of the learning process!) and scrubbed it and started again snce when I have been able to do what I wanted to do. 

I have been getting into Umbraco and it does seem a pretty neat system.  Not used a CMS except as a naive user before  though done dot net development and for me it all seems to make sense (well mostly:-)!)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 01, 2012 @ 21:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Martin

That's nice to hear - please don't hesitate to ask for help in here if something does not make sense or you just seek advise in general. Usually the response time is a bit more quick. But sometimes the level of activity in here is high and some posts "disapear" not getting the attention they deserve.

I hope you continue having fun developing with Umbraco :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft