Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Cowling 144 posts 342 karma points
    Mar 04, 2013 @ 11:21
    Tom Cowling

Hi,

I've been reading up on this for quite a while and just wondered if there have been any changes since the posts I've been reading through.

Setup:
    I am running a single version of Umbraco with multiple sites hosted inside it. This is great for being able to go to one place to manage everything, but also means that all statistics collected within the IIS logfile are merged into one file for all the sites. Once they are combined, it seems to be impossible to seperate them again.

My problem:
    I am getting requests from people for website statistics on the sites contained within the setup.

Is there anything I can do other than setting up different versions of umbraco for each website hosted (seems a bit counter-productive)? I assume this would also mean that any updates would have to be carried out on every install, which again seems a little counter-productive.

I would love to use google analytics, but the stats that show up in google analytics are waaaay off of the actual stats recorded for the site as tighter cookie laws in the UK mean we have to ask to collect data for stats (they can opt out) or if users have javascript turned off, the stats aren't logged.

If anyone has achieved a neat and simple solution to this, I would love to hear from you as it's really frustrating having to say to someone that you just can't do something! Also, if there is any way to seperate sites in the logfile, I'd be most grateful for your help.

Many thanks in advance for any responses,

Tom

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 06, 2013 @ 00:57
    Kevin Jump

you can add the Host name to the logfiles in IIS6/7 

• in IIS7 - select the site, go to the logging settings. 
    • Next to the format drop down, click the "Fields" button. 
    • add host to the list of reported fields. 
    • restart IIS. 
    • your log files will now have the host name for each request. 

• Tom Cowling 144 posts 342 karma points
    Jul 06, 2013 @ 23:30
    Tom Cowling

This is actually the solution I went with a couple of months back and it's been working very well (probably should have updated!)

Thanks a lot for the response. It gives exactly the results I needed.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft