Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jamie Steel 8 posts 38 karma points
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 13:23
    Jamie Steel

Understanding Umbraco Sitemaps

Hi All

I am currently using Umbraco to administrate my companys website. I am trying to add a sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools to help with the SEO.

I'm finding it extremely frustrating as everything I look up does not easilly explain how to do what should be I feel to be a basic task. I have a Sitemap page, Google won't take it. I add a xml file into documents, it still claims it an HTML page. I can't get a basic answer on how I add a Sitemap. It seems I have to add some complicated code via a developer tab, which I don't have.

Surely there must be an easier way? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 15:39
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Jamie,

It's propably because the content type is still HTML. Did you try one of the available package for generating sitemaps? This Free version is very good http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/cultiv-search-engine-sitemap . If you have more SEO related tasks you might want to check-out the SEO Checker package I wrote comes with a higly configurable sitemap option, but is commercial.

Hope one of the packages can help you. If you don't want to use a package. Maybe point us to your sitemap so we can have a look.

Cheers,

Richard

Apr 03, 2013 @ 15:57
    Jamie Steel

Hi Richard thank you for the reply.

The sitemap I have uploaded can be found here: http://www.eclipseblinds.co.uk/media/158773/sitemap.xml

I used a sitemap generator tool to create the sitemap but and uploaded it into Documents. However everytime I try directing Google webmaster tools to the URL it keeps claiming HTML format, can figure out what to do at this stage. I will try using your Checker Package, I have never used an add on with Umbraco as yet as I am cautious about changing to delevoper. But I will give the above a try and see if I can add a sitemap.

We have a Sitemap generator included on our Umbraco, however this only seems to update the Sitemap on our site, not create an XML file.

Regards

Jamie

Apr 03, 2013 @ 16:19
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Jamie,

Can't see why Google is having issues with this sitemap. Mimetype is switched to Xml. Only thing I can think of is load time. but the second time I've tried it loaded faster.

Sorry no easy answer,

Richard

Apr 03, 2013 @ 16:30
    Jamie Steel

Hi Richard,

Again thanks for the reply. I'm just glad that I am following the correct procedure, was nearly doubting my sanity. I understand the XML file is rather large, perhaps I could create a smaller version and see if that works instead.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Jamie Steel

Apr 05, 2013 @ 16:05
    Jamie Steel

Hi Richard,

Just to let you know I managed to finally upload my sitemap. It has read it 30 pages short however it's better than nothing.

Thanks for the help

Jamie

Apr 05, 2013 @ 16:15
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Jamie,

Hmm weird I think when you install one of the available packages you can get a lot more in.. Not sure why it's limited to 30 pages in your case.

Cheers,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft