Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• bradykelly 4 posts 24 karma points
    Sep 16, 2009 @ 18:38
    bradykelly

Runway Top Navigation Macro for Non Devs

I've just installed Umbraco and Runway, and I'm interested in the Top Navigation macro.  However, I can seem to find any non-dev access to this component of the templates.  Fortunately I am an ASP.NET dev, so the <umbraco:Macro Alias="RunwayTopNavigation" makes good sense to me in the Runway Master template.  Is there any other way of working with templates except via markup?

• James Telfer 65 posts 165 karma points
    Sep 17, 2009 @ 09:29
    James Telfer

Hi bradykelly,

I hope I'm understanding your question correctly. There is no way to work with templates without dealing with markup; i.e. no drag-and-drop interface. As I understand, this is outside the scope of what Umbraco tries to do.

In general, you'll set up the site as the developer, making sure that the macros produce the required HTML output. You'll usually make it so it will expand as the user adds content, and from a developer perspective this is quite straightforward.

In the Runway context, you will change the menu XSLT (the macro runs an XSL file, check out the Developer section) such that it creates the HTML correctly. As the user adds or removes content, the menu items will expand and contract.

Hope this helps,
    JT

• Søren Linaa 255 posts 208 karma points
    Sep 17, 2009 @ 10:50
    Søren Linaa

If it helps understand the markup you can open all the Umbraco 4+ templates in visual studio. The Umbraco templates are all .net masterpages and is in the /masterpages folder.

You can actually drag and drop some visual studio components directly into a masterpage and it works in Umbraco out of the box.

• bradykelly 4 posts 24 karma points
    Sep 17, 2009 @ 14:58
    bradykelly

Thanks guys, that's all I need: a confirmation.  No mistake, I'll always rather even work in VS and move to Umbraco.  Maybe a VS addin project is on the horizon here?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft