Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• chris 1 post 21 karma points
    Sep 26, 2009 @ 02:16
    chris

Hello, I just got into umbraco and I'm wondering where I upload images into the server in order to recall them later in css.
    So far I have images inside of the media section, but every image I put up there has a different numbered url.
    Such as /media/388/dotted_line.jpg  and  /media/393/star.gif

Is the media section where I'm suppose to upload images? Is there a reason why the numbers keep changing?

Thanks for the help,

Chris

• Masood Afzal 176 posts 522 karma points
    Sep 26, 2009 @ 04:02
    Masood Afzal

You can create a folder in root directory (e.g. 'images') and upload images to use in css etc

• William Burnett 213 posts 262 karma points
    Sep 26, 2009 @ 04:39
    William Burnett

Bringing up a good point.  It would be great to be able to manage such items from within umbraco.

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Sep 26, 2009 @ 04:41
    bob baty-barr

oooh, that is a great idea... some sort of file-based access to the /data directory perhaps as a tree or a new section in the lower left navigation area

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Sep 26, 2009 @ 07:51
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Chris,

I normally use the media section only for images that must be managed by my customer. The numnered folder is because it correspondents with the id of the media item.

For images that I'm using in my template or stylesheet I create a seperate folder and store the images in there and reference the images from there. I manage the images in that folder using a FTP program to upload it.

Cheers,

Richard

• Casey Neehouse 1339 posts 483 karma points MVP 2x admin
    Sep 27, 2009 @ 09:03
    Casey Neehouse

@bob,

I agree, a simple file manager would be a great addition.

• Chau 66 posts 97 karma points
    Oct 02, 2009 @ 22:11
    Chau

The solution I came up with was to add a simple style element within my header that referenced the proper image using an umbraco field. I did it in this manner so that the editors would have easy control over changing the header image if they wanted to. Now I just need to integrate some sort of image size validation.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Oct 03, 2009 @ 21:16
    Douglas Robar

For "some sort of image size validation"... I can recommend ImageGen, which will resize the original image (and rotate, crop, watermark, etc. etc. etc.) to your design's requirements. http://our.umbraco.org/projects/imagegen

cheers,

doug.

• Björn Jönsson 37 posts 58 karma points
    Nov 03, 2009 @ 09:24
    Björn Jönsson

You can simply add an image from your page via the RichText editor, where you can also see the path for it. If you click the HTML icon in the toolbar list inside Umbraco you can also change the inline css if you want.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft