Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Julien Decaudin 44 posts 31 karma points
    Sep 30, 2009 @ 17:19
    Julien Decaudin

UmbSearch2: Indexing media files

Hi there,

I'm having issue for indexing media files using the package UmbSearch2. I'm working on an Umbraco 4.1.0 alpha (but had the same issue on an Umb 4.0.2.1). This is a fresh install with only Runway and UmbSearch2 packages installed.

I've added the search result macro via tinyMCE:

<div class="umbMacroHolder" title="This is rendered content from macro" umbpageid="1070" umbversionid="80875d37-08a7-4e6e-9642-5ac83b2abdc6" onresizestart="return false;" ismacro="true" umb_pagingontop="0" umb_numberofsearchresultitemsperpage="10" umb_pagingonbottum="1" umb_searchfields="bodyText,questionText,siteDescription,siteName,umbracoFile,attachedFile" umb_searchstartnodeid="1048" umb_macroalias="SearchResult"><!-- startUmbMacro --><!--     ul    {        margin: 0;        padding: 0;        list-style-type: none;    }    li    {        margin-bottom: 10px;    } -->
    <h3>Your query for '' didn't yield any results.</h3>
    <ul>
    </ul>
    <!-- endUmbMacro --></div>

Obviously I've got a couple of PDF within the media section to test the search on but I get no results when searching on them. I tried to reindex UmbSearch, republish pretty much everything I could and I start to feel a bit desperate as the UmbSearch doc clearly says that "You don’t have to do anything for this!" (speaking of indexing media items).

Am I the only one to have this error or is there someone that could help with this?

Thanks very much!

Julien

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Sep 30, 2009 @ 17:36
    dandrayne

Could it be that you need to install the necessary "ifilters" on your server? http://umbsearch2.codeplex.com/

package makes use of IFilter to read the content of text documents. If you don't get any search results you might have to install the necessary IFilters on your webserver. Don't be afraid, most servers do already have them! You can download these filters for free on http://www.IFilter.org. If you want to search in PDF files you need to install the PDF IFilter. If you want to search in MS Office documents you need to install the Microsoft Office 2007 Suite IFilter. So, the kind of filters you have installed determine the kind of files you can look for.

Disclaimer: I haven't used umbsearch2!

Dan

Sep 30, 2009 @ 17:40
    Julien Decaudin

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your help. Yes, I've installed the PDF Ifilter as I need to index PDF files but it didn't change anything for me.

Julien

Sep 30, 2009 @ 18:12
    Julien Decaudin

Actually I've installed the PDF Ifilter on a Windows 2003 server and moved the Umbraco site to this server and it works! I was initially testing the search locally on my Windows Vista with Ifilter installed.

Julien

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft