Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• birthe havmoeller 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 22, 2013 @ 13:25
    birthe havmoeller

Why can't I select my cropped images when I want to use them?

Please help a newbie.
    I want to crop the uploaded images in the Media section of my umbraco site.
    The cropped images' folders (/media/(imageid)/(filename)_(cropname).jpg) as defined by default in the Developer section > Data Types > Image Cropper, are saved to the server but not displayed in the Media section's three navigation thus I can't select them when I want to insert an image in a content page. Is this how Umbraco works or is this an error/flaw of my site?
    It would be nice to know, if I am doing anything wrong?

/ Birthe Havmoeller, Aarhus, Denmark

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 22, 2013 @ 15:29
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Birthe,

The purpose of using an Image Cropper is almost always to not have the editor need to pick the correct image among many versions (let alone having to upload multiple versions in the first place), but rather let the editor upload a single large image, and then just pick that image for a page, and then the templates/macros etc. have a way to get the correct crop for the specific place an image is to be used.

So in your case - the macro rendering your page should "know" which size image is to be used when you place an image in the page's content, and grab the crop for that image when rendering. That's what we do, anyway, and it's very popular with the editors, since they're free to just pick an image and not worry about sizes etc.

That said, we usually don't even allow for images inside the content, unless for specific cases where we find a way to make sure it's not just "shoved" in, between the text, but rather a separate content item (e.g. a "Figure" or similar) that we can control. Most of the time we only have a separate "Image" field for the entire page and have the templates decide where to put it and which size/crop to use. Then we're also able to grab that page's image for Facebook sharing or thumbnail display in a widget on the front page etc.

/Chriztian

• birthe havmoeller 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 29, 2013 @ 10:44
    birthe havmoeller

Dear Chriztian,

Thanks for explaining this to me. It is much appreciated. And sorry for my late replay. I have been away from work for some days.

/ Birthe

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft