Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Holland 283 posts 40 karma points
    Dec 07, 2009 @ 19:33
    Tom Holland

A strange behavior with ImageGen, don't think it's the cache bug

I've been running imagegen for over a year without issue on v3 of our site. However, after I upgraded to v4, ImageGen images started to be deleted from the server - the original image, not the cached image, disappears. I've not been able to find a pattern or replicate when the image disappears (maybe it is tied to memory usage or something like that?). I upgraded to ImageGen 2.2.1.38932, and I switched from the .aspx to the .ashx, replaced all the references in my xslt, and cleared out all of the existing cached folders from media, but this did not seem to correct the issue - another image went missing since...

Our current version of umbraco is 4.0.2.1, ASP.NET 2.0

Thanks for any help! Tom

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Dec 08, 2009 @ 18:07
    Douglas Robar

Hi, Tom... long time since we've seen you on the forum; nice to have to visit again!

I don't think it is ImageGen doing it because there are thousands of sites running 2.2 in umbraco 4.0.2.1. Besides, there is no code to delete anything except temporary files in in the 'cached' folders themselves.

Any chance you've got an action handler or something else going on? Can you reproduce the behavior? Any other image handlers running on the site or server? Do the deleted images have viruses in them that an antivirus program might quarenteen? Or anything in log files (maybe turn on audit logging for a while?)?

Anyone else have any ideas?

cheers,
    doug.

Dec 08, 2009 @ 21:49
    Tom Holland

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the response. I'm really having trouble trying to figure the source of this error, and as far as I can remember, the only thing which had changed when images started to disappear was a version upgrade from umb 3.0.6 to 4.0.2. It does seem that only images which use imageGen are disappearing, and they are all images which have been uploaded using an upload field as opposed to direct entry into the media section. Maybe the upload field is the culprit, as anywhere where I've used and uploadfield in a document type, I'm likely to have used imageGen because its such a great tool.

There is no anti-virus running on the server, and I don't have any image handlers. Its a very strange problem as the image will upload fine and display in the template initially, but a few days later, the staff member is complaining that the image has disappeared again. I can't replicate this error and I can't understand why the image would upload successfullly and display for a seemingly random amount of time before being deleted.

It seems likely that this image mystery is a symptom of a larger problem with our install. Our site seemed to suffer a performance degradation since upgrading to umb v4. We have an AMS sharing the application pool which I've integrated with our umbraco install through a lot of web controls - this also complicates finding the root of performance issues as the application is huge. We also have a very large number of nodes on our site, 15k or so.

Lucene is also definitely an issue with our site. The index crashed constantly when I tried to use umbSearch as the main search tool, and the server logs complain of missing files on every publish. I would love to disable Lucene entirely...

Suggestions on all fronts are much appreciated.

Tom

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Dec 08, 2009 @ 23:12
    Douglas Robar

Yeah, sounds a bit strange. One question... is the original image actually removed from the filesystem, or is the image locked and not readable by ImageGen (and therefore seems as though it is missing)?

Regarding the lucene issue... take a look at a new umbraco/lucene implementation called Umbraco Examine. This will be the codebase to be integrated into umbraco 4.1. Lucene can certainly handle the job but the base implementation we've used for a few years is a bit weak in some areas.

Those are the ideas for now. Keep us posted and I'll let you know if I think of any other crazy ideas ;)

cheers,
    doug.

• Andrea Orimoto 16 posts 34 karma points
    Dec 09, 2009 @ 10:23
    Andrea Orimoto

Hi,

I had this issue as well in my 4.0.2.1 installation. Sometimes the original uploaded images got removed from the file system with no apparent reason.

I believe that from umb 3.0.6 to 4.0.2 a nice little "Remove file" check box was added to the upload datatype (not sure about this detail, it might have been in 3.0.6 as well). Well, it goes without saying that if you tick that check box and save the file will be removed, so I don't think that's your issue.

There is a little bit trickier repro that goes like this:

• create a node, upload a file and publish (let's call it nodeA)
    • copy the newly created node (let's call it nodeB)
    • obviously nodeB preserves all nodeA properties, included the path of the uploaded file in nodeA
    • here's the trick, if you tick the checkbox in nodeB's upload property and save, you delete nodeA's uploaded file

Maybe it's not your case, but this drove me mad for a while. Our editors use the copy function a lot and instead of uploading a new file over the copied one, they also clicked the "Remove file" check box, deleting the original image of the previous node. jeeez, this was hard to catch, I tell you...

Hope this makes sense

Andrea

• Marco Lusini 176 posts 1370 karma points
    Dec 09, 2009 @ 15:16
    Marco Lusini

@Tom: I also have lots of troubles with Lucene (I suspect it can't handle mine load balanced config...) so I figured out how to (sort of) disable it: I wrote an event handler that cancels each BeforeAddToIndex event:

public class disbleIndexing : ApplicationBase

{

public disbleIndexing()

{

Document.BeforeAddToIndex += new Document.IndexEventHandler(Document_BeforeAddToIndex);

}

static void Document_BeforeAddToIndex(Document sender, AddToIndexEventArgs e)

{

e.Cancel =

true;

}

}

• Marco Lusini 176 posts 1370 karma points
    Dec 09, 2009 @ 15:18
    Marco Lusini

Err.. sorry for the mess:

public class disbleIndexing : ApplicationBase
        {
            public disbleIndexing()
            {
                Document.BeforeAddToIndex += new Document.IndexEventHandler(Document_BeforeAddToIndex);
            }
            static void Document_BeforeAddToIndex(Document sender, AddToIndexEventArgs e)
            {
                e.Cancel = true;
            }
        }

Marco

Dec 09, 2009 @ 15:47
    Tom Holland

Andrea - this describes exactly what is happening THANK YOU! We have a newsletter and the editor has been copying stories each week as a starting point.

How did you work around this issue, did you switch the upload control or have the editor modify their procedure (my editor is very cranky about that prospect).

Tom

Dec 09, 2009 @ 15:50
    Tom Holland

Doug & Marco-

Thanks for the lucene input. I'd seen reference to umbraco examine in a few posts and I hope to give that a try when I can get a moment. I'd really love to expand our indexing but I've never had success with lucene...

Tom

• Andrea Orimoto 16 posts 34 karma points
    Dec 10, 2009 @ 11:12
    Andrea Orimoto

Tom,

glad that it helped. Our editors modified their procedure without complaining. Basically the new policy is to never check that check box (with the side effect of having some orphan crap on the media folder).

For now this is ok, it's not a severe issue and not a priority for us to fix/change. I believe though that this should be somewhat changed in Umbraco. I mean, on copy, the system should also copy the images/files/assets and update the paths accordingly.

Tell your cranky editor to behave :)

cheers

Andrea

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft