Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Natasha Bhardwaj 12 posts 32 karma points
    Nov 21, 2014 @ 13:05
    Natasha Bhardwaj

How can manage Umbraco developed website before migration?

How can manage Umbraco developed website before migration?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 21, 2014 @ 13:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Natasha

Could you ellaborate a bit more on this? I'm not quite sure I understand your question?

Thanks, Jan

Nov 24, 2014 @ 11:08
    Natasha Bhardwaj

Suppose i have a website in Wordpress CMS platform, now i want to migrate that website in Umbraco or vice versa.

How can i manage these things?

Is there any problem in migration a website from one platform to other platform.

Nov 24, 2014 @ 11:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Natasha

Well as far as I know you can get all of the content form Wrodpress in a XML format. Then to be able to import it into Umbraco you could code an importer that would create the content and map it to the correct parent node inside Umbraco for instance.

You could also use the CMSImport package by Richard Soeteman. If you decide to do so then be aware that it's a commercial package, which requires you to buy a license if you need to import more than 500 entries (If I remember correctly). The beauty of this package is that you can import content from excel, XML and databases.

Then in regards to the markup, javascript and styling you should be able to copy over javascript and css to the disk and then make sure that the references are still pointing to the correct paths etc. - Then you'll need to set up your templates using the markup from your wordpress site. This will probably require some rethinking and re-structuring but it should not be too hard since you of course just re-use id's, classnames etc. as before. So it's more a matter of figuring out what code should go in the master template and what should go in the specific templates for certain document types etc and if some code should be part of a macro etc.

I don't know what kind of plugins etc. you may be running in Wordpress but those can probably not be migrated directly and will probably require some refactoring.

In regards to migrating an Umbraco site to another platform I don't think that there currently is a package that let's you easily export the data, but if you know your way around C# it should be possible to easily make some code for it. Or if you just need a XML feed with the data there is a readymade XSLT macro template that can be used for generating that.

I hope this helps a bit :)

/Jan

Nov 27, 2014 @ 08:10
    Natasha Bhardwaj

Thanks Jan,

Your elaborated answer help me to get idea about my problem. I really appreciate you.

Nov 27, 2014 @ 08:11
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Natasha

You're welcome - And please don't hesitate to use the forums if there are anymore questions :)

/Jan

Nov 27, 2014 @ 10:34
    Natasha Bhardwaj

Yes i will surely ask question . I like knowledge sharing.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft