Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jakob 38 posts 54 karma points
    Jan 29, 2010 @ 03:47
    Jakob

How would you build wikipedia in Umbraco

I wasn't sure what category fit this question, but I'm interested in some thoughts on how to build information heavy sites in Umbraco. How would you go around building a site like wikipedia in umbraco?

Would Umbraco be fit to handle such a massive umbraco.config file? Would you create a seperate database with a LINQ datacontext (or would you wait building wikipedia till LINQ to Umbraco was released for the masses ;)?

Please share some thoughts on how to structure giant sites in Umbraco. Please feel free to play with this question in any way you'd like to ;)

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Jan 29, 2010 @ 09:38
    Rik Helsen

I wouldn't want to build something like a "wiki" in umbraco for many reasons... i doubt it's managable (even if it's technically possible)

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jan 29, 2010 @ 09:51
    Niels Hartvig

Neither would I build a complete wikipedia in Umbraco, albeit the Danish version (currently 103k docs) wouldn't cause problems with Umbraco atm ;-)

But Umbraco is not designed for huge wikis due to it's focus on hierarchy. However, the wiki on Our runs on umbraco nodes only so it's definitely possible for smaller (<5-10k items) wikies.

There's plenty of good and specialized wiki software available on all types of platforms of a wiki is the only thing needed.

Jan 29, 2010 @ 15:21
    Jakob

I didn't consider having all the information in umbraco a good idea either, but I considered whether creating templates in Umbraco could be a good idea, and then have a second DB for all the user-submitted data. In that way (atleast from my perspective) the information of the site and the structure would still be fairly easily managed. You'd still have to create managerpages for the data, but the administration of the sitestructure would be less costly wouldn't it?

Jan 29, 2010 @ 15:23
    Jakob

and when I say creating templates in Umbraco I mean, that all non-user-submitted information should be managable through Umbraco. So this includes also include all other aspects of Umbraco (macros, media and the likes)

Jan 29, 2010 @ 22:40
    Jakob

Ok, please tell me why this would be a bad idea:

I would have 2 databases:

One for Umbraco that handled all of the site structural content and the users
    In this way, the website structure could be built in umbraco. All templates, css and usercontrols could be easily managed through umbraco. You could use xslt to create main menu's and have editors writing the "about" pages. I would use umbraco to manage users, in this way, the other DB (even if someone tampered with data entered) would never have access to user-sensitive information (perhaps through shell-scripting, but then the security issues would be pretty mayor. You would also be able to create a multilingual site fairly easily.

One for all user submitted data. This information would be rendered into the templates, and managable through usercontrols.

You would not have direct access to all of the data through umbraco, but you would have access to managing the admin templates, and you could also set permissions from inside umbraco.

Am I completely not understandig some vital code-ethics here?

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Feb 01, 2010 @ 16:57
    Rik Helsen

i doubt there's a real reason why you shouldn't be able to, but i'm kind of against reinventing the wheel, and using best of breed solutions.

If a client wants a blog, i'll first check if dasblog/wordpress is a suitable solution, if they want a medium sized website withouth document managament, i'll look at umbraco, if they need a collaboration portal, i'll look at sharepoint, if they want a wiki, i look at a wiki software, and not so much a publishing platform.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft