Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Drew 165 posts 340 karma points
    Jun 25, 2012 @ 14:23
    Drew

Umbraco on CMS comparison sites

I've been asked to bring together a comparison of Umbraco vs. the top 10 (or so) popular CMS systems (from Sitecore to Websphere) - a massive task, so I'm keeping it at a low level (number of active installs, release cycles, etc.

One thing I noticed while researching stats for Umbraco is that the online comparison data is really *really* out of date.

Why is this important?
    Well we know how great Umbraco is, and we tell clients - but what do we all do when we hear about something new? We Google it...and it you're a client, these "CMS comparison" sites are perfect for you - save time AND see what else is out there.

Worse, a client may hear about Umbraco and google it - only to find outdated information which makes Umbraco look a bit poor (when we all know how great it is).

Looking on cmsmatrix.org, they haven't updated their Umbraco info since August 2010 and have quite a few things wrong.

• 30EUR per domain cost (??)
    • Current version: 4.0
    I've seen a lot worse, such as one site referencing only 4,000 active installations!
    I love the community here, but I think that getting this information updated may need to be an initiative from someone at HQ since they have an authoritative position when contacting various sites to request an update of Umbraco's information - rather than 1001 random companies/developers. :)

Jun 25, 2012 @ 14:49
    Drew

CMSHarbor was the one I was thinking of as the worst offender, Umbraco apparnetly does nothing..!

http://cmsharbor.com/products/compare/Sitecore-CMS-vs-SDL-Tridion--vs-Umbraco

Also, plenty of sites borrow content from the various CMS comparison sites, leading to propagation of really wrong data :(

e.g. http://www.r2idnn.com/Services/CMS-Comparison.aspx

• All Blonde 86 posts 138 karma points
    Jul 17, 2012 @ 16:47
    All Blonde

Hey guys,

there is a lot of CMS and having outdated info is bad. But to run ahead of competition you need an edge. For example CMS called Etron which look and does exactly what you do. Difference that, while it is Microsoft partner same as you are, it also have  VC 2010 project file in distribution package. Result, even it is not better then Umbraco, their clientel list include companies such as GE, Walmart and other big names. Just because of ease of maintenance.

Why don't umbraco team make in newest release Umbraco as a Visual studio project and make life for every distributor and developer easier.

That would give Umbraco distribution seriouse boost as well.

Because right now our clients look at system and asking:

• How complicated will be to add new pages or edit existing one?
    • Where is a code behind for adding custom functionality?
    • How complicated changing CSS is?
    • Why it is so difficult to add images to CMS?

We can not answer this because there is no simple answer. They use to have a project and know how easy it is to add/remove files in VS. And adding what clients wants sometimes (and in many cases) is reall husle just because there is no VS project for Umbraco with all it good features.

Jul 18, 2012 @ 15:43
    Drew

You can download the source of Umbraco if you want to be able to load it as a full Visual Studio project - and potentially modify the source.
    Or you can create a Web project in VS and add the folders/files from your Umbraco install.

Are you saying those items are problems that customers are asking you, or questions they're finding 'answers' to via the CMS Comparison sites?

1. Adding pages - very easy.
    2. Custom functionality - again, extremely easy with several different methods (controls, xslt, handlers, packages, etc)
    3. Settings > CSS - Edit/add css entries via the CMS easily
    4. Media Library > Create > Image - very easy.

If clients want to be able to modify the Umbraco core or do extensive additions, they'll need to run through the Umbraco training (or get involved in the forums, or watch Umbraco.tv).

You could always knock up your own solution too, and share them with the community.

• ... 20 posts 41 karma points
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 15:37

Having been stuck using Umbraco for the past year, I can't agree with you.

In fact, I'm not even sure how or why anyone can honestly say 'this is a great CMS', because it's awful.
    Want to design and build a piece of custom functionality really quickly?

Well, you need to build a Macro, then an XSLT handler, then work out what nodes it's going to pull from, and god help you if they change because Umbraco doesn't deal with dynamic content in anything resembling a contemporary way.

What would take 3 minutes in php or Ruby takes a whole day in Umbraco, and that's if it's even possible.

I cannot wait for the day that I do not have to use this carbuncle of a CMS ever again.

• All Blonde 86 posts 138 karma points
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 17:36
    All Blonde

First of all -- CMS is for content managment not for designing custom functionality on daily basis.

And yes I would say that it is really good CMS. I can not say that this is the easiest to use but lot easier than for example Ektron or Vigenette in terms of maintenance and building/adding custom functionality to your pages.Yes there are some issues with Courier on V6 but I am pretty sure that it will be fixed sooner rather than later. And in any case there is a way to work without using Courier on site of any complexity. That is not the a good reason to put "awful" mark on that CMS.

I worked with lot of different things like Movable type from sixapart, Vigenette, Ektron and so on and on.

Did you try any of those?

Please try before you say awful next time.

For example Ektron will not work until you install 5 additional services on your Production web server!!! And I do not even want to start talking about price tag on any of those.

• Danny 2 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 28, 2013 @ 17:29
    Danny

I can't believe someone has mentioned Ektron! Jesus. What a pile that CMS is.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft