Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kenneth Thomsen 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 23, 2012 @ 22:41
    Kenneth Thomsen

Trying to sell umbraco to WordPress clients.

Hi community
    first time here :)

I was doing my major and i want to find out what it would take for wordpress users to feel home in umbraco.

I was thinking if someone of you have used wordpress before umbraco.

questions

1. Was there something that you where anoyed with wordpress and therefor changed to a new cms system.
    2. When you tried umbraco was there anything you thought was better than what wordpress could offer.
    3. Was there anything you missed from wordpress. Something that could be developed in the futere maybe.

Best Regards
    Kenneth Thomsen.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Nov 24, 2012 @ 01:44
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Kenneth, welcome!

Before finding Umbraco I was starting to get heavily involved with WordPress (wrote a few plugins, submitted patches to the core, etc). As a blogging platform, WordPress is the top of the game, a de facto standard - if one of my clients wanted a blog specifically, I'd be hard pushed to recommend anything else other than WordPress.

However if a client wanted a more flexible content-driven website, where the content structure (and schema) was tailored to their wants/needs - then Umbraco is perfect!

The root limitation of WordPress (but that's also one of its strengths) is the fixed content schema (e.g. post title, post content). This doesn't give a content-editor (or developer) much to play with.  Sure, it is possible to use the custom meta-data fields, but they can become quite cumbersome to work with, (in terms of the API and templating).  Whereas with Umbraco the content-schema is flexible and open to implementation - if your client wanted an extra field on a page, it is very simple to do so.

(I mentioned that the fixed schema was a WordPress strength - in that all theme & plugin developers understand the schema and can build towards it.)

One huge concern with clients who are familiar with WordPress is the dependency on plugins.  First thing I am asked about - "Does plugin ABC exist for Umbraco?" (of course, often it does, sometimes it doesn't).

For me, (from a developer's perspective), Umbraco is about implementing the best solution that fits my clients needs, in both content structure and front-end output (having 100% control of the templating/markup).

Cheers, Lee.

• Kenneth Thomsen 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 24, 2012 @ 15:44
    Kenneth Thomsen

Hi Lee Thanks for the nice reply.

I agree with you, alltough the "free plugin/packages" is the biggist discouragement towards umbraco at least in my soroundings... And its allways the first things that comes up when i ask people... what do you enjoy most about wordpress. But iguess the packages market will grow faster now with the use of mcv programming. so i can only cross my fingers :).

allso when you need to update umbraco can be a pain in the ass. 

I had my internship at a production web agentcy which manily did wordpress sites... They had a develper who was taught .net. So i came on team Umbraco. We found a much more flixble system than wordpress and alot more free. 

We tried Contour (umbraco package) and it was amazing. We have never seen so flixible formbuilder. the only thing was, it was to expensive for us to use.

This major is allso something i can show my boss so i can proof we should change to umbraco. and show him we can will have much happiere clients when they are shown our new generation of websites. :)

Cheers, Kenneth.

• Biagio Paruolo 1593 posts 1824 karma points c-trib
    Apr 12, 2013 @ 14:42
    Biagio Paruolo

You can use  uBlogsy for blogging and content ( I customize it and use on www.fitavcampania.it and www.http://www.centrippicidellatuscia.it ) ...

• Lori Shecter 3 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 19, 2015 @ 15:10
    Lori Shecter

So, here in New York, WordPress is the bain of my existence. In addition, developers from India offering $600 "custom" websites.  As a huge content manager I can say that there are two things that are more robust in WordPress: 1) Ublogsy does not allow for easy category creation.  I also don't know of a plugin that allows you to easily put "related" articles 2) I am hopeful that some of the new umbraco commerce packages are more robust than what exists. WordPress has great plugins. So, as the "sales" arm of Appdrenaline, I do wish that Umbraco was a bit easier and faster to develop in as well as less expensive. I love using it, I love content managing it.  But I also wish that WordPress (as well as Drupal) did not have such a strong hold here in the US.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft