Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Jun 20, 2013 @ 14:04
    Peter Duncanson

What are the rules on using the "umbraco" word/logo?

I've recently setup patterns4umbraco.com which I had to run past HQ to get cleared but has since been retracted once the legal guys got wind of it. I understand why and I'm in the process of looking for another domain. It raised an interesting point though, how do we target content/sites to Umbraco if we can't mention it? Or what are the rules for using Umbraco on another site?

I know Warren is doing another site thats very targetted to umbraco freelancers but he's had to call it cms-jobs.com rather than umbraco-jobs.com Again I get why, its a slippery slope and someone might get the idea that its ok to throw the Umbraco name around without clearing it first. Its a brand and needs protecting but I wondered what others thought about how those that work with the brand and want to support it can mention it in a way that increases it visibility and gives it context without treading on the toes of brand itself?

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jun 20, 2013 @ 15:58
    Douglas Robar

We had a similar discussion back in 2008. Here's the full thread from the Way Back Machine http://web.archive.org/web/20090305012103/http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst4156_The-blog-post-about-Trademarks-Guidelines-might-need-some-clarification.aspx. It's a worthwhile read for background.

The best plan has and still is to not use "Umbraco" in the name. It's just easier and cleaner and avoids any issues or confusion. 

I wonder if you might get the "Patterns4U.com" domain. Then, in the meta description and 'about us' blurb mention the site is dedicated to design and development patterns for use in the popular open-source cms, Umbraco (with link to umbraco.com). Would that be an appropriate way to handle these kinds of things?

Not that the *4U naming convention is special or a way around a trademark issue, it just struck me as memorable in this case. Generally speaking I'd go for a name that doesn't reference Umbraco specifically, not even by abbreviation. 

Obviously we don't want to dilute the brand or confuse anyone. I'm looking forward to the conclusions for naming now that five years have passed since it was last discussed.

cheers,
    doug. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft