Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 16:59
    bob baty-barr

what umbraco community means to you

hey everyone... i am working on a presentation for the upcoming uWestFest and I want it to focus on community... but i need your help. Please leave a word, phrase or manefesto in the posts below and share what the umbraco community means to you. what drew you in initially, why you stay an active member, etc. I would be so appreciative for your stories. I want to use your examples to help illustrate how the North American users can get involved and feel the love.

Thanks, #H5YR!

• David Conlisk 432 posts 1008 karma points
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 17:05
    David Conlisk

Funny you should ask that, Bob :)

One of my earliest experiences with the Umbraco community was asking you how the blog worked on your own site. I remember you sending me lots of code, and even offering to log in remotely to the site I was developing to have a look. I thought: this is the community for me!

I also had Niels comment on my first Umbraco blog post ever, back in 2007 I think, which really made me feel, as a total noob, that my input was important. I believe I may have been ranting about how difficult it was to get an image onto a page using XSLT ;)

Since then it's the constant evolution of the product I suppose that keeps me involved, plus the fact that it's a fantastic tool for the job. If it wasn't, I doubt many of us would still be here, community or not...

Cheers, and keep up the good work. Hope uWestFest goes well, I'm sure it will!

David

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 17:10
    bob baty-barr

@David...
    wow, thanks for bringing back those great memories. I had some awesome community mentors back in the day. [Doug and Casey] and it is so fun to help people discover what a great tool Umbraco is. I always find myself smiling and thinking... wow, who would have thought that a piece of software could be responsible for so many of the great friends I have in this life. Still blows my mind nearly every day.

Thanks for sharing David!

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 17:39
    Peter Duncanson

I was Matt Brailsfords best man and we met solely through using (and loving) Umbraco. Can't get much cooler than that right ;)

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 17:41
    Peter Duncanson

Oh and I built paymattback.com (ironically not on Umbraco) and we got a lot of wonderful donations from the community to help send him on this honeymoon, it was like watching the donations for Walter White come flooding in very heart warming that the community cares so much. Something I'm reminded of everytime we have a meet up. The tag line says it all, friendliest cms ever.

• Ravi Motha 290 posts 500 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Dec 20, 2013 @ 17:38
    Ravi Motha

Reason to be umbraco

1. It's the friendliest tech group out there
    When you post a question regardless of whether you are new or not you will never be flamed, or given grief, people will give you time and do their best to help you. Not something that always happens on other forums.
    2. You will learn loads
    There are some very clever people doing good and great things and they will share ideas code and help to push you and your knowledge forward.
    3. Why so serious?
    There is a lot of fun to be had, whether it's dancing badly or just sharing jokes and links
    4. The community itself
    It's global, I've met people who are from around the world New Zealand , Australia, at the last Uk festival there was a contingent from Israel, all over Europe , including Denmark, Sweden Norway, holland , Belgium , all over Britain and Ireland and the good old USA

Most importantly you will make friends I know I have

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Dec 20, 2013 @ 18:09
    Lee Kelleher

After a few years of doing WordPress - my first experience with an open-source project, (I wrote a few plugins for it) - I was looking a more flexible CMS. WordPress is a great blogging platform, but limited as a CMS.

Luckily I stumbled upon Umbraco, that looked very flexible ... and the best part was that it used XSLT - of which I had a lot of previous experience with (since 1999). It was a joy to develop with! (yeah, yeah I can hear the boos & hisses) ;-)

Then from reading the forums, I noticed a lot of people struggling with XSLT... so I decided to help by answering forum posts. It was my way of paying back for having a "free" CMS.

After that I started to develop packages, organise a local user-group and even did a talk at CodeGarden!

As corny as it sounds, Umbraco has changed my life. Most of my close friends now are people who I've met through Umbraco, (I was also at Matt's wedding). I started up a business (Umbrella) that focuses exclusively on Umbraco with Rich Green (who I first met at CG10).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft