Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Jul 29, 2010 @ 03:49
    Paul Blair

Strange behaviour with umbraco.config on 4.5.1

I've only noticed this because I happened to have the umbraco.config file open Visual Studio.

There seems to be an event firing periodically that is refreshing/recreating the umbraco.config file. This means within VS I am getting the message "this file has been modified outside the editor. Do you want to Reload?"

Also, if I just browse to a different page on the site the same message appears.

The time time in the file server is also changing but I haven't actually detected if there are changes happening within the file itself or if it is just being recreated.

This can't be very efficient? Has anyone else noticed this?

Cheers

Paul

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 29, 2010 @ 07:31
    Sebastiaan Janssen

That does sound like rather strange behaviour, can you try to compare two versions of the file in WinMerge to see what's changed?

Maybe one of your usercontrols is doing a publish somewhere, that would cause the umbraco.config to change.

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Aug 12, 2010 @ 01:27
    Paul Blair

This is happening on another new project. It has no user controls acting on it. All that is being changed is the timestamp for the umbraco.config file so I suspect it is getting recreated periodically. There appears to be a rouge process operating.

Can anyone else replicate. Just open umbraco.config in Visual Studio - wait a couple of minutes or surf around your site and then see if you get the file has changed message.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 12, 2010 @ 09:14
    Sebastiaan Janssen

This is a confirmed bug and the fix has been implemented for the upcoming version 4.5.2 (you could download the nightly release if you need it now)

• mikew910 14 posts 29 karma points
    Sep 05, 2010 @ 16:38
    mikew910

This happened for me also. I found if the page was left open in the IDE and I did an xcopy - the old page was deployed. By closing all open pages prior to the build it went away.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft