Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Niclas Lindqvist 48 posts 127 karma points
    Aug 29, 2010 @ 15:56
    Niclas Lindqvist

Service Unavailable

We've been developing a site using Umbraco (now upgraded to 4.5.2) on Binero (running ASP.NET 4.0 full trust, and MSSQL DB). It's working great as long as it runs, but at any given moment it can give us the Service Unavailable, HTTP error 503.

I've been in contact with support at Binero, but they say their server is not overloaded, though they get some inactive processes shutting down after 7 minutes instead of 30 minutes (supposedly standard procedure from IIS7 when load is over 80%). Could this be the cause of my error messages? Another idea is that it's the application pool running our site that somehow crashes.

Has anyone else had this issue, and found a solution to what to do. I found some inconclusive posts on the forum from earlier versions. Some stated it could be a web.config-error but we've made no change to it. We build the site upon the CWS-package and has extended it with a few custom xslt's and macros of course, but no biggies! Any ideas on what to do about it?

Best regards

Niclas Lindqvist 

• Jonas Eriksson 930 posts 1825 karma points
    Sep 06, 2010 @ 13:41
    Jonas Eriksson

I'm also getting that error, on a clean 4.52 install. Binero say they try to fix asap. Didnt sound as if it was only Umbraco installations, but dont quote me on that one.

Sep 09, 2010 @ 11:30
    Jonas Eriksson

Got a message at monday saying they are done with some os-updates. And since then I havent got any 503's. Happy about that :-)

Oct 13, 2010 @ 15:19
    Niclas Lindqvist

Hi again, sorry for bringing up such an old thread again.. but @Jonas Eriksson you haven't by any chance had problems with your published content not showing on other computers? We're having a huuuge problem with this. The published material shows up perfect on the computer/network you're publishing on, but other networks show the old content until app pool is restarted. It's getting really annoying and Binero won't help us out very much on this point. Is your content showing world wide right away? Any info would be great!

Thanks

• Andreas Älveborn 31 posts 52 karma points
    Oct 13, 2010 @ 16:44
    Andreas Älveborn

Hi all,

I'm currently having the same problem with Service Unavailable on binero. My installation is a Umbraco 4.5.2 and it worked fine two days ago. Now I will get the Service Unavailable message every 5-10 min. And In the umbraco log it's states that the Application is starting every 5-10min.

Did anyone get a solution to this problem ? was/is it a web.config problem or a webhostingproblem or something else?

Oct 13, 2010 @ 16:57
    Niclas Lindqvist

Hi @Dekline

Our situation (both me and Jonas) got resolved when the web host made changes, it's still a bit unclear what changes they did. This was on swedish Binero.se.

When we were investigating the service unavailable it looked like the app pool RAM maxed out and sort of crashed. This caused the service unavailable to show unitl the pool got restarted. Ask your host for some figures on ram usage and what their limits are. Perhaps you're having the same problem.

• Andreas Älveborn 31 posts 52 karma points
    Oct 13, 2010 @ 17:19
    Andreas Älveborn

Hi Niclas, thx for the reply.

I'm too are using the swedish binero.se and I am in touch with the support, but they didn't give me much to go on. But I will ask them about the ram limitations to figure this one out.

Oct 13, 2010 @ 18:18
    Jonas Eriksson

Niclas: here's my experiences with Binero:

Overall it does work fine (on a fairly well used site with both editor and user interaction) but I'm having my eyes at it because it still feels a bit uncertain. Could be we have the same problems you describe but since the content does not change often we havent noticed.

One thing I did notice and had problems with was that deploying dll and .cs-changes took some time to activate (until app-pool restart). It made me begin restarting the pool manually after important changes. (That's ofcourse not a solution for changed content though.)

Perhaps the reason for this that Umbraco only reload XML content when it's own app has done the changes. So if Machine B changed content, the XML file is distributed to Machine A properly by the load balancing system, but the Umbraco-app at Machine A does not care about it. I'm just guessing here, we should really ask Umbraco HQ about this.

Dekline: I experienced Service Unavaliable occassionaly the first couple of days, but with longer time intervals (2-4 hours). Now the site has been running without SU for three weeks.

Regards

Jonas

Oct 13, 2010 @ 18:58
    Niclas Lindqvist

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the info!

If it wouldn't be to time consuming, would you like to test the scenario on your install as well?- Update and republish a page from the Umbraco administration.

- Visit the updated public page from a computer on another network (seems like the same public IP-address get's served the same cached info, logically.)
    - Is the text updated?

- If not; touch the web.config and re-upload, or otherwise restart the application-pool
    - Is the text updated now?

I understand if you don't want to do it, especially not on a live site, but if you have the time and place to do it, it would really help us out in narrowing the error down.

Anyone else running on Binero please feel free to try this out!

Best regards

Niclas

Oct 14, 2010 @ 14:51
    Jonas Eriksson

Niclas,

I tried and got the same results as you. 

Changed content does not show up in on other machines in the server farm until the app-pools are restarted there. :-(

I'm thinking of some kind of a "hack", because I really like to stay with Binero for this particular site. How about making an Umbraco scheduler that reloads xml data if the umbraco.config (data file) has changed.

What about you?

The articles and forum posts I found about load balanced servers are using DistributedCall for manually configured load balancing situations - that requires knowledge of the IP-address of each server. In our case we don't have those. (Also new servers could be added whenever). I wonder if there's a DistributedCall-configuration for this.

http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst1061_LoadBalanced-servers-are-not-updating-on-publish.aspx

Just noticed a tweet from Binero saying they are not officially supporting Umbraco atm, and perhaps wont until spring 2011...

Regards

Jonas

Oct 14, 2010 @ 15:48
    Niclas Lindqvist

Hi Jonas,

I got this info from the support team at Binero:

There are 10 servers splitting the load, using ip-addresses 192.168.10.2->192.168.10.11

I tried enabling distributed calls and added the server addesses, but all i got was this log message:

Error refreshing distributed list: 'System.NullReferenceException: 
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at umbraco.presentation.cache.dispatcher.LogDispatchNodeError(WebException
    ex)
    at umbraco.presentation.cache.dispatcher.InvokeDispatchMethod(DispatchType
    dispatchType, Guid factoryGuid, Int32 numericId, Guid guidId)'

If you want to give it a try, do it, they didn't mention anything about different users have different servers but it could be that these are specific to my account. If you got some input on what that message really means, please tell me! :)

Yeah, some sort of hack might be the solution, but I'd like it to be incorporated so that a publish also automatically causes the reload, not an extra step.

Let's keep in touch keep pushing forward on this, I think many will have use of our results once we get there.

Oct 14, 2010 @ 16:54
    Niclas Lindqvist

Just curious Jonas, where did you see that Binero tweet regarding umbraco?

Regards

Oct 14, 2010 @ 17:18
    Jonas Eriksson

Hm, looking at the dispatcher source gives some clues. Did you get any other info from the umbraco log?

Tweets from 11 today:

Hihaj:
    @Binero Kan man köra Umbraco hos er?
    Binero:
    @Hihaj D är inget vi officiellt stöder ännu, tyvärr. D är på G till våren senast. Mvh, B

Jan 10, 2011 @ 19:51
    Jonas Eriksson

Finally abandoned Binero today for the Umbraco insatallation I had there. Not being able to do Contour forms (license file was never loaded properly - even after weeks of existence). Moved to a plain VPS and now everything runs at it should. I hope they will support Umbraco soon though. We need a non-VPS host for Umbraco in Sweden.

Regards Jonas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft