Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Frede Hundewadt 20 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 10, 2010 @ 09:10
    Frede Hundewadt

issue with iis default document after upgrade to 4.5 .net 4

umbraco v 4.5.2 (Assemby version: 1.0.3981.20719)
    server 2003R2 standard sp2

The issue is that my default document is being ignored.

The first place I made a note of it is when launching the backend by navigating to /umbraco.

This won't launch umbraco but a 404 saying the page cannot be found. The backend is launched by stating the complete file /umbraco/default.aspx

I have several subdirectories which is not part of umbraco and have their own default document in old .asp.

Everything worked as expected until the upgrade to .net 4 and umbraco 4.5

If I want the page to open correctly I have to type the complete uri site/download/company/default.asp

If the folder company has subfolders, the subfolders won't open either. Again the full uri is doing the trick but why?

Have been searching and found a suggestion on adding a trailing slash - but that wont do.

I have the two topmost iis-default documents as 'default.asp' and 'default.aspx'

Is this a umbraco issue or a .net 4 issue?

//Frede

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Sep 10, 2010 @ 09:45
    Dirk De Grave

me thinks it's more of a iis issue than an umbraco issue. Anyway, you can always start the backend using http://domain.com/umbraco/ (including the trailing slash). Omitting the trailing slash instructs umbraco to find a page that is named "umbraco", which you probably won't have in the frontend.

Does it make a diff to remove the default.aspx from the iis default docs? you don't need those for the umbraco site.

Also (although it shouldn't make a difference as you're using old .asp pages in subfolders), did you play around with this setting from web.config and include the folders that should be ignored by umbraco?

<add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="~/umbraco,~/install/" />

Looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Frede Hundewadt 20 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 10, 2010 @ 17:02
    Frede Hundewadt

I actually tried the trailing slash but it didn't work.

I also tried the umbracoReservedPaths solution with no luck. Apparantly I forgot something at that point.

Trying it one more time - editing the line to this - did the trick - but only after recycling the .net 4 pool and restarting the site.

<add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="~/umbraco,~/install/,~/download/" />

What I cant figure out is why it worked with .net 3.x but not with .net 4

Thnx for taking your time

//Frede

• Comment author was deleted

Feb 19, 2016 @ 11:46

Although this is a VERY old topic, I happened to stumble upon it when searching for a way to make a static page (such as index.html) the default web page for Umbraco, upon a client's request.

What worked for me (directory urls are ON) was to create a rewrite rule in urlrewriting.config since IIS default documents are ignored:

<add name="rootpage" 
                    virtualUrl="^/$" 
                    rewriteUrlParameter="ExcludeFromClientQueryString" 
                    destinationUrl="~/index.html" 
                    ignoreCase="true" />

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft