Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave Forster 28 posts 74 karma points
    Sep 14, 2010 @ 11:54
    Dave Forster

ASP.NET4.0 / Umbraco 4.5.2 : Setting clientIDMode="Static" in web.config breaks admin features

If you explicity set the clientIDMode property in the web.config to "Static" certain admin features are broken. I believe this is to do with the way jquery in umbraco_client is selecting elements (perhaps there are some hardcoded id's)... i have also seen script errors on IE that specific target jquery as the source.

Setting a static client id in asp.net 4 has the effect of removing the container id's from page elements that would normally occur in previous versions of asp.net e.g.

"ctl100_myContainer_txtFirstName" becomes "txtFirstName" allowing easier access to elements client side.

This is set in the <pages> section of the web.config : e.g.

<pages enableEventValidation="false" clientIDMode="Static">

My current work around is to explicity set the clientIDMode on page controls themselves rather than globally in the web.config. However, I feel this should be addressed in furture iterations of umbraco so that it can be said if fully supports .net 4.0

Also logged on codeplex... with screenshot

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/28867

hope this helps anyone else who has been scratching the head for 2+ days! :)

Search Tags (based upon what i was searching for) :

clientIDMode, System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException, web.config, umbraco.uicontrols.PropertyPanel.Render, Input parameter 'controlId' cannot be an empty string, System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterExpandoAttribute, Document Types, Media Types

• Pat O'Callaghan 34 posts 56 karma points
    Nov 08, 2010 @ 22:56
    Pat O'Callaghan

Thanks for this response. I had the same problem today!

• Matthew J Cowan 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 01:40
    Matthew J Cowan

Yep, and not fixed in 4.7.1 ...

But, you can add a location tag at the end of the config file to keep the admin section working as designed.

<location path="umbraco" allowOverride="true">
        <system.web>
          <pages clientIDMode="AutoID" />
        </system.web>
      </location> 

At least this has worked for me.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft