Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• North Krimsly 59 posts 80 karma points
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 21:39
    North Krimsly

JQuery is not defined and other errors; unable to use Umbraco control panel

Greetings all,

I'm getting strange errors after logging into the Umbraco 4.5 admin page, which are preventing me from using the Umbraco control panel.  When I look at the Chrome Developer Tools window, I see two types of errors: 1) "JQuery is not defined" in umbraco.aspx, and 2) 404 Not Found when loading script resources like /umbraco/DependencyHandler.axd?s=a_bunch_of_characters_here.

This is messing up the Umbraco control panel, making it unusable since JQuery isn't getting loaded.  What I've changed recently is that I added a custom 404 page through my hosting company's control panel, which updated the web.config.  The 404 page was working but that's when I noticed the messed up Umbraco control panel.  So I turned off the custom 404 page and reverted the web.config but am still unable to use the control panel.  The site still works but the Umbraco control panel doesn't.

I'm pretty sure that DependencyHandler.axd is trying to load script resources from cached URLs that don't exist anymore. I've tried increasing the version number in config/ClientDependency.config, and I've also tried deleting the App/Data/ClientDependencies folder on the server.  Neither of those rebuilt the cached URL's.  Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

NorthK

Oct 27, 2010 @ 22:37
    North Krimsly

More info-- I changed <compilation debug="true"> in web.config.  That made all the errors go away. I logged in to the Umbraco control panel and republished the entire site.  

However, when I change <compilation debug="false"> again, there is still one error related to not finding JQuery-- same problem as before with DependencyHandler.axd not finding the JQuery resource.  Before there were four of these errors and now there is just one.  I think I still need to do something to rebuild the last URL that is bad.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 23:14
    Aaron Powell

Did you copy the ClientDependency folder (inside App_Data) to the server, it shouldn't be copied across servers.

Refer to the ClientDependency documentation about debugging and clearing cache: http://clientdependency.codeplex.com/documentation

Oct 27, 2010 @ 23:38
    North Krimsly

Hi Slace,

I didn't copy the ClientDependency folder across servers-- this is a new install that was working but is no longer working.  I followed all of the steps in that link about how to clear the dependency cache, including setting <compilation debug="true">, changing the version number in the ClientDependency config, and deleting the ClientDependency folder from App_Data (in 4.5 it is TEMP/ClientDependency).

Setting <compilation debug="true"> fixes the problem but when I set it back to false, the problems come back.  And, the client dependency cache is not getting reconstructed after I deleted it.  The site still works properly but the Any further ideas?

Thanks,

-NorthK

Oct 28, 2010 @ 20:14
    North Krimsly

I apologize, it turns out that my web.config was totally screwed up and this is what caused the problem.  Setting up a custom 404 page was done through my hosting company's control panel, which heavily modified my web.config in ways I did not anticipate.  Once I corrected the web.config line by line, all was well.

Thanks,

-NorthK

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft