Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• wildlife 54 posts 74 karma points
    Oct 29, 2010 @ 17:50
    wildlife

"An error occurred while processing your request."

I am getting this error message whenever I try to create a new page and whenever I try to publish any existing pages.  When I create a page, I get this message, but when I refresh the browser, I find that the page was successfully created.  So I start to edit the contents of the page and when finished, I click the save & publish button.  Then the same error comes up.  The page does not publish no matter how many times I try to hit save & publish.  So basically I'm dead in the water on any content creation or editing.

Anyone have any ideas of why this is happening and how to fix it?

This is a totally generic error message with no details about why it is happening, so my ability to debug it myself here is extremely limited.  I have found one post on the forum indicating a similar, but not identical issue with this error appearing where issues with the security vulnerability patch.

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/12947-ASPNET-Security-Vulnerability-leads-to-an-error-occurred-exception

I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem or not.

The site I'm working on is in Umbraco 4.0.3

Any help would be appreciated.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Oct 29, 2010 @ 20:47
    Tom Fulton

Check the umbracoLog table, it should have the full details of the error message - or turn off custom errors to see the full error in the browser.

Oct 29, 2010 @ 21:13
    wildlife

Thanks for the info, but how do I do both of those?

Oct 29, 2010 @ 21:21
    wildlife

Nevermind on checking the umbraco log, I figured that out.  But how do I turn off custom errors?  It would be better if I could see the full error as it happens rather than have to check the log each time. 

I was able to figure out the cause of the problem from the log. Something was messed up in how I was trying to add new folders in the autofolders config file.  I just deleted what I had tried to add before and the error when I hit save & publish has stopped.  I'm not sure why that would cause the problem I was having though.  The new files I was trying to create and the existing ones I was trying to save & publish were not even in the folders I was trying to add to Autofolders.

Oct 29, 2010 @ 21:26
    Tom Fulton

To turn off custom errors, check your web.config for a <customErrors> tag and change "mode" to "Off".  See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/h0hfz6fc.aspx

You probably would want to turn them back on for production though, as the errors could expose information you might not want the public to see or that could be used maliciously

Oct 30, 2010 @ 09:00
    wildlife

Oh OK.  Yeah, I'll leave it off then.  I was thinking it was just for errors seen in the admin area.

I was able to resolve the first problem, but now I'm back to getting that same message again.  Looking through the log file now it is for a different reason.  I have no clue whatsoever what is causing this error to happen:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error updating item: umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteNonQuery ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlConnection connection, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) at umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(String commandText, SqlParameter[] parameters) in [path removed for this post]\umbraco\datalayer\SqlHelpers\SqlServer\SqlServerHelper.cs:line 64 at umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteNonQuery(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) in [path removed for this post]\umbraco\datalayer\SqlHelper.cs:line 217 --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteNonQuery(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) in [path removed for this post]\umbraco\datalayer\SqlHelper.cs:line 221 at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.DefaultData.set_Value(Object value) in [path removed for this post]\umbraco\cms\businesslogic\datatype\DefaultData.cs:line 97

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any thoughts on what might be causing that to happen, I'd appreciate it.  If not, I guess I'll start a new thread about this next issue that has me completely dead in the water on what I'm trying to do.  With this, I can't publish the new event pages I'm trying to create.  The problem isn't breaking the save & publish functionality sitewide/altogether as the previous problem did.  I'm still able to save & publish other pages this time.  But the event pages where I'm trying to use autofolders to store those pages in year/month generated folders won't publish and generate this error now.  If you need additional setup details, I can try to get anything needed.

The thing that's most frustrating about this error is I did have the events working in Autofolders just 15 minutes before I started getting this.  All I did in between that time was to add one more entry for a Regional Events Folder to the Autofolders config file (done the same way I did the other one successfully), then I added a new dropdown datatype as a field in my Event Item document type and I added that document type as an allowed child node under a Regional Events List document type I already have set up.  I had this working fine under County Events List and was just trying to extend the functionality into the Regional Events List doing it the same way.  But something in what I did made this error start happening when I tried to create another test event.  After seeing this error, I then removed all the things I had just done thinking it would start working again, but it didn't.  I can't get rid of this error when trying to save & publish any events now.

Thanks for getting me through the first level of this situation, but that just got me to this second level.

Oct 30, 2010 @ 14:57
    Tom Fulton

Unfortunately I don't know much about AutoFolders...but the error is happening when trying to convert a string to a date..

If you remove the new field you added and remove the new entry in the autofolders config file it still happens??

Also what version of Umbraco are you using?  I don't think its compatible with 4.5

Oct 31, 2010 @ 10:32
    wildlife

I'm using 4.0.3.  We have a lot of functionality added in this site that we don't really want to sacrifice where packages are not yet compatible with 4.5, so it's better to wait to see if the packages are going to be upgraded before upgrading the core, unless there is a reason that is a bad idea that I don't know about.

The new field I added was just a drop-down field to select an Event Type.  It has options of Statewide, Regional and County.  It has nothing to do with dates, so it shouldn't have had any impact here.

Does this error sound to you like it is a result of trying to pull the date data for Autofolders to set up the date based folder structure?  I have it set up to pull the beginDate field off of the Event Item document type and then create year and month folders to put the newly created page in based on that date.  So if I create a new Event with a date of December 10, 2010, for example, Autofolders will take that Event page and put it in a 12 folder within a 2010 folder.  That allows us to have a Monthly Archive of past events as well as monthly listings of future events.  Note that this was already working with a separate Statewide events section without giving me any errors.  It was working in the County Events section after I fixed the previous error in this thread.  It was working there for about 15 minutes until I tried to add it to the Regional Events section as described above as the last step needed.  That is when I started getting this error.  But then removing everything I did to try to set this up didn't fix it.  At least I think I removed everything to restore it to how it was when it worked.  But now I'm still getting this error when I try to publish any Events.

Or could this error be unrelated to Autofolders and just giving me this error on Regional Events due to something else with the date/time related fields present in that document type?  Statewide, Regional and County Events all share the Event Item document type.  That's why I added the drop-down field to that so we could designate between the Event Types while still having them all be in the same document type.  I'm guessing it is most likely due to something wrong with Autofolders, but removing where I added Regional Events in the Autofolders config file does not make the error stop.

I wish the error given would give more information about exactly when and where the error occurred (i.e.--Error happened at line ### of file xyz.whatever).  That would help me in diagnosing why it is happening.  As is, all I know is it has something to do with date/time, but nothing more.  But I'm dead in the water for what I have to do with adding this needed functionality until this error stops somehow.

Thanks for all your time and help reading this stuff.

Nov 02, 2010 @ 12:27
    Tom Fulton

Hi - sorry I'm not much help on this.  One thing you could try to isolate if it's autofolders or not is simply remove the Autofolders DLL from /bin/ and try publishing a page again.

Other than that, to get a more detailed error you could try debugging the source, if you have the setup for that

Nov 02, 2010 @ 14:31
    wildlife

If I remove the Autofolders dll, is it as easy as putting it right back where it was for things to "work" again (I put "work" in quotes because it isn't really working now, but I'm wordering about it working to the extent that it has worked)?  We already have a few Statewide events that were in the system and are in their appropriate monthly archives.  Do you know if removing the Autofolders dll will break that functionality further?  Or is it that once Autofolders monthly folders are created, they remain there even if Autofolders is uninstalled?  That's my only concern with that. 

Good idea though to make sure that is the source of this specific problem.  I'm reasonably sure it is because the first problem happened with something with how I edited the Autofolders config file to add County Events in there.  I thought I did it right, but when I saw Autofolders in the first error messages, I redid it and it started working then.  So then I tried to add Regional Events and that's when I started getting this second error.  But this time, removing what I did in editing the config file  and restoring it back to how it was before I started doing anything with adding Regional and County events didn't work for stopping the error, so I have no idea what's going on.  I just know this is a royal pain when it shouldn't be.

I don't think I'm set up for debugging the source as I haven't done that before.  Can you let me know the basics of what's involved with that as I have a feeling that might be something I'm going to very much need in debugging errors with this site in the future?

Nov 02, 2010 @ 19:54
    wildlife

The cause of this error was found by someone else I'm working on this with.  When I set up the data type for Event Type to give the drop-down choice of Statewide, Regional or County, I neglected to set it as nvarchar.  The default setting is date.  So that's why it was having the issue with the date.  I thought I had set everything to nvarchar and was assuming that it was an issue with autofolders, as the previous problem was. 

Thanks again for you help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft