Nov 19, 2010 @ 19:12
    Nicholas Westby

Unable to Move or Copy Nodes in Content Tree

I have a news node setup in the content tree as follows:

• News
      • Archived News
      • Event News
        • Thanksgiving Day Off

I am trying to move "Thanksgiving Day Off" so it sits under "2010" instead of under "Event News". When I try to drag/drop it, it appears to work until I reload the nodes. When I right click and select "Move", it says it moved, but clicking "OK" does not close the dialog (clicking the X does close it) and the node is not moved. I thought I'd just try a copy and delete, but I was not able to copy either (using the same process as moving the node). Also, the tree in the copy/move dialogs overlaps parts of the dialog it shouldn't.

The document type that "2010" is is setup to accept children of the document type that "Thanksgiving Day Off" is. I am able to create nodes fine under it, just can't move/copy nodes under it. I'm using Umbraco 4.5.2 for .Net 4.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 20, 2010 @ 14:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hmm, I think that this issue can be related to write permissions perhaps? How is your setup?

/Jan

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Dec 01, 2010 @ 23:30
    Nicholas Westby

It is unlikely a permissions issue. Like I said, I am able to create nodes under the destination node.

• Sotiris Filippidis 286 posts 1501 karma points
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 16:34
    Sotiris Filippidis

I'm experiencing something similar. No permissions issue, target node is allowed to have document types of the node-to-be-moved as children. I drag the node once, nothing happens. Drag it twice, it appears to have moved, but when I reload nodes it's at its original position.

It works, though, when I right-click and select "move".

• Jeremy Hillman 4 posts 24 karma points
    Oct 05, 2012 @ 13:58
    Jeremy Hillman

Did you get a resolution to this problem?  We have the same issue with Umbraco 4.7.1.1

Thanks

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Oct 16, 2012 @ 00:34
    Nicholas Westby

Sorry, can't remember what the resolution was. We ended up going with a different node structure, and moving nodes became unnecessary for our particular situation.

One random thing you can try. Go to the "Properties" tab of your node. Look at the "Link to document" property. If it is just "#" instead of an actual URL, there is a chance you need to delete and recreate the node. Also check all ancestor nodes of that node. We occassionally get corrupt nodes and one of the ways to fix it is to recreate the nodes from scratch. It's a long shot, but worth a look.

• Chris Randle 67 posts 181 karma points c-trib
    Dec 19, 2012 @ 23:54
    Chris Randle

The functionality of dragging and dropping content under other content is not actually implemented. You can read more here:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/11495-Dragdrop-in-content-tree

• Nitin Anand 46 posts 178 karma points
    Oct 05, 2016 @ 07:47
    Nitin Anand

I needed to change the position of a menu item which is a content node in the tree. I noticed new nodes appear and sits on last place once you add them OR when you RE-MOVE them. so to get my node position changed even in view, i fixed it by re-moving the top nodes so they turned as new nodes n fall under target node. good luck

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft