Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Taylor 873 posts 2086 karma points
    Nov 24, 2010 @ 12:10
    Matt Taylor

Multiple controls with the same ID error whilst editing a Document Type

I was just editing the Master document type from a reletively fresh umbraco v 4.5.2 (Assembly version: 1.0.3891.20719) install.

I created a new property, umbracoRedirect and added it to the 'Generic Properties' tab.
    I then created a new property, umbracoNaviHide but I forgot to change the tab to 'Generic Properties' and it got placed in the 'Metadata' tab which I had created before.

I then expanded that property and changed it to be in the 'Generic Properties' tab.
    I think I then must have clicked save and received the following error:

Multiple controls with the same ID 'gpw_31' were found. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs.

Now I cannot edit the Master document type because of this error.

Regards,

Matt

• Claus Jensen 49 posts 157 karma points hq
    Nov 24, 2010 @ 12:17
    Claus Jensen

That sounds rather strange - If possible I would delete and recreate the documenttype to ensure you don't have anything else being broken later on. It sounds like you've interrupted Umbraco in the middle of something causing it to have a duplicate of something - it shouldn't be possible to create two properties on the same documenttype, with the same name (it makes no difference whether they are on different tabs - it is just cosmetics)

Nov 24, 2010 @ 12:26
    Matt Taylor

Yes, strange but I'm sure it could happen again if the circumstances were right.

Even stranger, it seems to have sorted itself out now. I've just gone back to it after about 10 minutes, clicked on a child document type and then back to Master and this time I am able to edit the Master document type again as if nothing went wrong.

Nov 24, 2010 @ 12:32
    Claus Jensen

That is really weird - have you tried creating some documents based on that document type to ensure it is still working?

DocumentType is basicly like a table in a database - which is why I would be kinda concerned about storing data in it, if it gave me an error at any given time in the creation process. Do you have a lot of data stored in umbraco already that makes it impossible for you to recreate, just to be sure? ;)

Nov 24, 2010 @ 12:49
    Matt Taylor

Not been able to continue with the testing just yet as I've been told to get on with something else now.

I share your concern, fortunately this is just an install that I'm playing with to test things and there's not much in it yet.

Nov 24, 2010 @ 12:53
    Claus Jensen

Ahh - okay. Well if you get around to do some testing, please keep us informed. Would be nice to know if there's a reason to be worried.

Good luck ;)

-Claus

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft