Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fredrik Esseen 609 posts 905 karma points
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 08:49
    Fredrik Esseen

Websites gets unpublished

Hi!

Ive recently changed host for my installations and now some strange things have startened to happen with my new installations.

I have two installations Umbraco 4.5.2 that sometimes and without any reason gets unpublished. The page gets redirected to the no-node-splash and when I republishes the entire site, the site starts to work again.

I dont think any user have changed anything on the websites.

On one of the installation i sometimes get "An error occurred while processing your request" and when i republish it works again..

Someone got a clue?

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 09:59
    Ismail Mayat

Check your permissions also is the host using sql express? If so after certain time period the db goes into standby then when request is made it fires up again.  How often are these sites being hit?

Regards

Ismail

• Fredrik Esseen 609 posts 905 karma points
    Feb 11, 2011 @ 09:09
    Fredrik Esseen

The host is using MS SQL 2008 so that shouldnt be the problem. But the permissions could be the thing. Ive given full permissions on the config-folder. The data-folder had full permissions. Should the config-folder have full permissions?

Do I need to set more permissions on more folders?

The host also says that they have a problem with sites loading slow the first time if the site has not been visited for a while. Must be some sort of standby?

• Roger Sutton 52 posts 124 karma points
    Feb 11, 2011 @ 10:24
    Roger Sutton

Hi,

I have just republished a 4.5.2 site which did exactly the same thing, It also happened a week or so ago on the same site. Once is odd, twice points to a problem somewhere. We are using SQL 2005, I don't think it is a standby mode issue as the content is there and visible in the admin area, ie. the database has no issue finding the content to display that material.

The public side of the site is either seeing the top level 'home' page as unpublished which would suppress everything underneath or all material as unpublished which is less likely as this would have to impact lots of DB records. Has anybody else seen a similar issue or found any resolution?

• Chris Davis 56 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 11, 2011 @ 21:32
    Chris Davis

I also have this same problem which has happened twice since the site has launched!!!!!

umbraco v 4.5.2 (Assembly version: 1.0.3891.20719)
    Windows Server 2008
    SQL 2008

Help would be great!

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Feb 11, 2011 @ 21:48
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

Check out these posts from Darren Ferguson, probably the same issue.  It has to do with the DB not being available when the app pool re/starts.  He posted a workaround also.  I do believe it's fixed in 4.6 but not positive

www.darren-ferguson.com/.../working-around-the-'no-nodes'-issue-with-umbraco-45x

our.umbraco.org/.../13649-Site-repeatedly-reverting-to-no-nodes-splash-page

-Tom

Feb 14, 2011 @ 12:17
    Roger Sutton

Hi,

Just checked our logs and the server did reboot after an update in the early hours before the client noticed a problem. In our system the SQL server is actually on another box so Darrens idea of a race between IIS and SQL Server maybe doesn't work here. It is possible I guess that IIS is up before some networking component so that the call to the remote SQL Server instance doesn't connect then the same outcome will happen.

He suggests that it may be resolved in 4.6, is there a straighforward path from 4.5.2 to 4.6?

Regards

Roger

• Damiaan 442 posts 1301 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Feb 14, 2011 @ 14:57
    Damiaan

Hi,

I have encountered the same problem in 4.6.1

An upgrade manual can be found here: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/upgrading-an-umbraco-installation

Kind regards

Feb 14, 2011 @ 15:05
    Tom Fulton

Hi Roger,

Regardless of what exactly is causing the issue, I think Darren's workaround should still work for you.  Basically it modifies the noNodes page with a check, if no nodes are published it manually re-publishes which should workaround the issue.

-Tom

Feb 14, 2011 @ 15:58
    Roger Sutton

Thanks Tom,

I read Darrens blog but couldn't find the noNodes page in my installation, which folder is it in?

Sorry to be a pain

Roger

• Damiaan 442 posts 1301 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Feb 14, 2011 @ 16:17
    Damiaan

The noNodes page can be found under this directory: \config\splashes

• Claire Botman 48 posts 77 karma points
    Feb 23, 2011 @ 05:34
    Claire Botman

I can confirm that this happens in 4.6.1 after a failed connection to the database. 

I can't find this on codeplex anywhere, does anyone know if it's been added?

Feb 23, 2011 @ 14:15
    Tom Fulton

Hi Claire,

Here is the workitem - it was marked as resolved though.  I think the fix may have been rolled into 4.6.2 (now 4.7) - can you give that a shot?

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/29833

Thanks,
    Tom

• Jacqui Kipfer 20 posts 102 karma points
    Nov 14, 2011 @ 16:27
    Jacqui Kipfer

I have the same "site becomes unpublished" problem using Umbraco 4.5.2.  I am not confident that I can successfully alter my noNodes.aspx page myself using the code provided by Darren Freguson.  Can someone please post the step by step instructions and example of how to modify noNodes.aspx to solve this problem?

Thanks, Jacqui

• Richard Barg 358 posts 532 karma points
    Jan 04, 2013 @ 21:48
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft