Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bryan Drenner 37 posts 59 karma points
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 23:09
    Bryan Drenner

SetFocus() not working in macros based on user controls

This may not be a bug, but I can't find an otherwise appropriate place to post:

I have created a user control that manifests the contents of a form, and I have placed it in an Umbraco page.  Once published, the registration form behaves correctly, except for one thing:  The SetFocus() calls seem to have no effect, so the cursor does not start in the first TextBox as intended.  However, they do work if I place the user control on a simple, non-Umbraco aspx page.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Bryan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 23:11
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bryan

Do you insert the macro directly on the template or through the content section in a rich text editor?

And could you perhaps post a snippet of the code in your file?

/Jan

Feb 24, 2011 @ 23:23
    Bryan Drenner

Thank you for your quick response! The macro is on the template. Here's the code that is not working, excerpted from the user control's code-behind file:

protected void Page_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        switch (NewWebAccountWizard.ActiveViewIndex)
        {
            case 0:
                Page.SetFocus(FirstTimeAnswer);
                Page.Form.DefaultButton = FirstTimeNextButton.UniqueID;
                break;
            case 1:
                Page.SetFocus(NewAccountSurnameTextBox);
                Page.Form.DefaultButton = NewAccountNextButton.UniqueID;
                break;
            case 2:
                Page.SetFocus(ConfirmDetailsNextButton);
                Page.Form.DefaultButton = ConfirmDetailsNextButton.UniqueID;
                break;
        }
    }

Basically, NewWebAccountWizard is a multiview, and depending on which view is active after the user control's logic has executed, it sets the focus and default button right before it's rendered.

Feb 28, 2011 @ 17:50
    Bryan Drenner

I still haven't been able to resolve this issue, but I've found some additional clues.

When I place the user control on a regular ASPX page, the focus gets set correctly, but in an Umbraco page it no longer works.

On a regular ASPX page, the following JavaScript reference is automatically generated:

<script src="/WebResource.axd?d=W5qNQ0304KSxjOdxTSWb-jDDppYWBRdyf4JiCLY6Cor1ICcie99Z5QxrYafHEQH4G3vxRBGr0m5AjfeV7QaI_yYorapuBawuLTdJvK3YVx81&t=634267145163241050" type="text/javascript"></script>

Along with this, at the bottom of the form:

WebForm_AutoFocus('ctl02_EmailTextBox');

But when placed on an Umbraco page as a macro, the same user control omits this code.

I thought that the problem might be due to the user control being placed in an ASP Content control, so I created a simple master page with a single ContentPlaceHolder, and I placed my user control in the Content control of a child page. It worked there without a hitch.

Feb 28, 2011 @ 21:29
    Bryan Drenner

Solved! After much hair pulling and nail biting.

My user control had periods in the filename, like this:

LibraryProject.UserControls.LoginForm.ascx

When I remove all but the last period...

LibraryProjectUserControlsLoginForm.ascx

...the expected JavaScript is generated on the page, and SetFocus() works as intended.

Now the question remains for Umbraco developers: Why do extra periods in a user control's filename throw off ASP.NET's built-in JavaScript when used as an Umbraco macro?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft