Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John 17 posts 37 karma points
    Apr 06, 2011 @ 02:05
    John

Insert/edit image url bug

Hi all,

Im having an issue in 4.6.1 with images that I insert into my RTE not displaying when saved or published. Basically I have set up Umbraco in a folder off the wwwroot. So my index page would be http://localhost/mysite/

I have added an image to the media section and use the "Insert/Edit image" button to add the image to my text box. The image displays fine in the editor untill I click Save or Save and Publish. Also, after saving it will show broken link for image and if I select that image again and and click on edit image and change the path to /mysite/media/ it will show the image after saving and publishing also.

It then seems to cut the url from /mysite/media/299/image.jpg to /media/299/image.jpg and the image doesnt display correctly on the site or in my RTE.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Is it a setting or something that I am missing?

Same as Alan I also searched a lot to solve this thing but nothing helped me yet... I did not get that this bug was solved in 4.6.1 and I compared the required three files which Hartving provided on one of the thread and its exact as he told still its not working.

Anyone can help me on this? Is that issue is only with me or anyone else is also getting same thing?

Thanks,

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Apr 06, 2011 @ 03:30
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

Hmm...this was a known bug that I thought (?) was fixed for 4.6.1 - see this workitem - that changeset was before the 4.6.1 release.  Just to confirm, the folder you are running the website in, is it a folder or an actual virtual directory with its own application?

-Tom

Apr 06, 2011 @ 04:07
    John

Hi Tom,

thanks for prompt response... I have 4.6.1 version right now. I am running my application on local machine. Which is configured in IIS 7.5. My folder is on C:/. I have checked all the three files on my system source with the http://umbraco.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/a5309ce9fbfa and found that all the updates are there. Still the problem is as it is..I am not getting why its happning...

Apr 06, 2011 @ 19:10
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

What I was wondering more specifically, was whether your folder is just a regular sub-folder of your site, or if it's setup as a virtual directory/application?

In IIS it will have a different icon if it's an Application.  If not you can right-click and convert it to one.

-Tom

Apr 06, 2011 @ 19:40
    John

Hi Tom,

Its a regular sub-folder below my site and my images are below this folder for example folder1/styles/img/displayimages/pic1.png where folder1 is just right below mysite with other folders. On right clicking on that folder its showing me option that Convert to Application.

Apr 06, 2011 @ 21:16
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

I think the sub-folder that contains the Umbraco site is going to need to be its own application.  Umbraco has several functions that use "~/" which redirects to the root of the current application, which in your case would be / instead of /mysite since it's not it's own application.  Can you try converting it?

-Tom

Apr 06, 2011 @ 22:40
    John

Hi,

I tried to convert folder1 as an application but its showing Invalid path error. Also my folder1 and is just right below the site with other folders with same lavel including umbraco. i.e. folder1 and umbraco are two different folders below my site and i am trying to access images from folder1/styles/img/displayimages/pic1.jpg. After publishing the page it shows the image link is broken but if i select that image and click on insert/edit image button again and change path to /folder/media/.... and save then its allowes me to publish and if i again check it its shows broken link.

Apr 13, 2011 @ 00:23
    John

Hi Tom,

Could you pelase help me out to find the solution for this issue? Its really critical I tried everything but did not get the required outcome. I will be very thankful to you.

Apr 13, 2011 @ 14:03
    Tom Fulton

Hi John,

Just to confirm, does the issur occur when you use the Insert Image button and select an image from the Media Library?  Or are you changing the path to your folder1/styles/... folder somehow?

Also, is this your structure?

/ (website root)
    /folder1
    /umbraco
    /anotherfolder

Or is it

/ (website root)
    /folder1
    /folder1/umbraco
    /anotherfolder

-Tom

Apr 13, 2011 @ 18:48
    John

Hi Tom,

This issure occurs in richtext Editor. When I select image from insert/edit image button on rich text editor and select a file then the path in that popup window for image selection shows /folder1/media/229/image1.jpg -> then it will show that image on Rich Text Editor but when I save or Publish the page it is not showing the image and that image will become area with red X on it i.e. a broken image link -> then when I click that red X area of Image and click on insert/edit image again then it will show the path as /media/229/image1.jpg and also if I click on HTML then also it shows that src="/media/229/image1.jpg " but it should be /folder1/media/229/image1.jpg in place. That means after saving or publishing it is refering to /media/229/image1.jpg instead of /folder1/media/229/image1.jpg.

Also my folder structure is

/ (website root)
    /folder1
    /umbraco
    /anotherfolder

i.e. both the /umbraco and /folder1 are under website root directory. and one thing that I want to mension is that my folder1 only contains css and images fiels below it.

Apr 13, 2011 @ 20:57
    Tom Fulton

Hi John,

Thanks for clarifying.

If Umbraco is installed on the website root I don't see how the Rich Text Editor would be finding "folder1" at all.  Did you possibly specify a custom path to your media folder somewhere, rather than the default /media?

-Tom

Apr 13, 2011 @ 21:12
    John

Hi Tom,

It might be possible as I joined ongoing project and this proejct is already built till some extent. Could you tell me where can I check that custom path or how can i change it?

Apr 13, 2011 @ 21:12
    John

Apr 13, 2011 @ 21:16
    Tom Fulton

To be honest I'm not sure off the top of my head.  I think it may be an additional setting in the web.config that isn't there by default.  Can you search your web.config for your folder1 directory?  It may be something like <add key="umbracoMediaPath value="~/folder1"/>

Apr 13, 2011 @ 21:25
    John

It is <add key="umbracoMediaPath" value="~/folder1/media"/>

Is it right?

Apr 13, 2011 @ 21:29
    Tom Fulton

Ok, so probably your media path was changed to this custom location, and I'm guessing there must be a bug where the RTE doesn't support this.

Is there a reason you need to have your media folder under folder1 and not in the root?  Do you have a lot of pages already referencing things here?

-Tom

Apr 13, 2011 @ 21:36
    John

All the scripts, styles and Css pages are in this directory and many pages on site refer to this folder1. That might be the reason to specify the specific folder. For example in my web.config there is :

<add key="umbracoPrivatePath" value="~/folder1/media/private"/>
    <add key="umbracoCssDirectory" value="~/folder1/styles"/>
    <add key="umbracoScriptsPath" value="~/folder1/scripts"/>
    <add key="umbracoMediaPath" value="~/folder1/media"/>

Apr 13, 2011 @ 21:50
    John

Also one thing to note is that there is no media directory under my website. there is

/folder1

/umbaco

/otherfolders

but not /media

Apr 13, 2011 @ 22:26
    Tom Fulton

Right, it looks like your media folder was moved to /folder1/ for whatever reason.  I personally think the best solution is to move it back into the root and update the path in web.config.  I'm not sure why it would be moved in the first place.

You might be able to copy the media directory back to the root instead of moving it, that way any references to /folder1/media would still show.  But really there shouldn't be any references to it right, since you can't get the insert image to work?  Or did this just start happening?

I would have to investigate further but I'm thinking this is a bug in the Rich Text Editor Media Picker when the media isn't in the default path.  If I get some time I can try to test for you, maybe it's fixed in 4.7?

-Tom

Apr 13, 2011 @ 22:52
    John

The other things that I choose from media picker works for /folder1/media/ path but only in Rich Text Editor it creates problem after saving or publishing. i.e. it is not rendering correct page might be due to incorrect database entry for the path? For other things its works but for only Rich text editor its not working form start and also I have read that its been solved in verson 4.6 but and I have latest version 4.6.1 and still the problem is there.

Please see this link :

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/12026-Resolving-Media-URLs-in-Richtext-editor-(TinyMCE-v3) which shows that someother persons also had same issue.

Also: Niel's solved in this :

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/a5309ce9fbfa

But I think the problem is still there.

Do let me know if you get any idea on this.

Apr 13, 2011 @ 22:58
    Tom Fulton

I think the issues you are referring to are when running Umbraco in a Virtual Directory, which you don't appear to be doing.  IE the umbraco, umbraco_client, config, etc folders are all on the root of your site right?  Possibly a related issue though when using a custom path for the media folder...

If I get a chance I'll do some checking for you, but I still think the best option might be to simply move/copy the folder back

Apr 13, 2011 @ 23:08
    John

Yes Tom,

/folder1

/data

/courier

/config

/xslt

/umbraco

/umbraco_client

web.config

All this folders and web.config with other folders are on the root directory.

Also, the problem for moving folder back to is creating problem for pages whcih are using css and script files which are there in folder1 and if I will copy/move back to the original location will create problem for some images that already working for image picker control other then Rich Text Editor. So i don't think copy/move will be helpful on this issue.

Apr 13, 2011 @ 23:14
    Tom Fulton

I was suggesting to just move the Media folder, not necessarily the scripts and CSS folders.  If you just copy it your existing references should be fine since it will still exist in the old location.  Not an ideal solution but should work.  Again I'll see what else I can find out if I have some time :)

Apr 13, 2011 @ 23:22
    John

Hi Tom,

Let me try to copy that one..

I really appriciate you for helping me on this. Thanks for your time to look deep into my problem. Do let me know whenever you found any solution or clue on this one.

Once again,

Thanks a lot Tom,

John

Apr 15, 2011 @ 01:37
    John

Hi Tom,

I checked my folder1 but images are not there in this folder. I think its virtual directory created for this application. So how to resolve this as there is no option for me to copy/move the media folder.

• Mattias Jonsson 11 posts 31 karma points
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 10:26
    Mattias Jonsson

I have the same problem, but I am using the default media folder. I have added the web.config parameter as suggested above, but to no luck. I am using 4.7 Umbraco and IIS 7 on Windows 7 machine. I click "Add photo" button. The photo gets added in the media folder, and the image is visible in the "BodyText"-property field I am working in. But when I press "Save and publish" the link is broken. I have like I said added a web.config node: <add key="umbracoMediaPath" value="~/media"/> but to no luck. Any suggestions? 

• Muhammad Humayun 49 posts 79 karma points
    May 22, 2012 @ 14:15
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft