Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ted Jardine 98 posts 120 karma points
    Apr 15, 2011 @ 19:34
    Ted Jardine

The length of the query string for this request exceeds the configured maxQueryStringLength value.

I've spent some time determining that this is indeed not a bug, but thought it would be helpful if anyone else runs into it. Hopefully they don't waste as much time as I did discovering what the real issue was.

Steps:

1. View HTML in rich text editor.
    2. Place large amount of text in HTML view.
    3. Click update and receive "the query string for this request exceeds the configured maxQueryStringLength value" error.
    4. Waste a bunch of time thinking that it is something to do with Umbraco 4.7 and the html view for some reason using a GET with an overly long query string length.
    5. Waste more time adjusting <httpRuntime maxQueryStringLength="SomeBigNumber" /> only to now start getting a 404 error instead.
    6. Stop, think, and realise that this is all very strange and really shouldn't have anything to do with Umbraco when placing text from the HTML view into the RTE.
    7. Analyze content and realise user has erroneously put a mangled anchor tag that doesn't close. For i.e. <a href="/test.html and more and more and more...and more"</a>
    8. Post for future reference.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft