Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Angela 7 posts 27 karma points
    May 03, 2011 @ 18:31
    Angela

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I know this error has been posted many times before but I still can't solve this and wondered if some kind soul could take a look at the stack trace and tell me what it means.  Last week everything was normal, but today if I select any media in the media section then this server error in '/' application appears.. so at the moment I have to do things in the back end.

The only thing I've done recently is uninstall some packages that I wasn't using to try and solve a time out error I've been getting in Contour (which is a whole other post). But I did this at the beginning of last week, so the timing doesn't make sense. Any help much appreciated!

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.addControlNew(Property p, TabPage tp, String Caption) +54
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl..ctor(Content c, publishModes CanPublish, String Id) +769
       umbraco.cms.presentation.editMedia.OnInit(EventArgs e) +308
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +333
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +378

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 03, 2011 @ 22:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Angela

What version of Umbraco do you experience this on?

And what packages did you uninstall?

The above error is pretty comon and it's not something that you can explicitly tell what is causing it... So you need to provide us with as much information as you can.

Do you get any other errors in the error log in the database? Have you added some cusom code that makes use of the media api? Etc. etc.

/Jan

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    May 03, 2011 @ 23:08
    Tom Fulton

Also...I think this usually occurs when there's a Property on this Media Type whose Datatype no longer exists.  Maybe you uninstalled a package that included a Datatype that is still on your Media Type?

-Tom

May 04, 2011 @ 15:54
    Angela

Thanks everyone!

The Umbraco version is 4.0.3, and I think I uninstalled the Bit.ly Url Shortener and Gecko Uploadify, although I also uninstalled theFarm Media Link Checker package but reinstalled it when I realised it had no effect on my Contour problem.  I can't see anything in the error log, nor added any custom code lately.  I'm trying to think of what else might be helpful but nothing logical comes to mind!  I'm unfortunately unable to get into the database as it's on a separate server that I don't have permissions for.

BUT when I do into my media types another error appears:

No node exists with id '11029'

Plus this stack trace:

[ArgumentException: No node exists with id '11029']
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.CMSNode.setupNode() +933
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.CMSNode..ctor(Int32 Id) +78
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.DataTypeDefinition..ctor(Int32 id) +36
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.DataTypeDefinition.GetDataTypeDefinition(Int32 id) +143
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.propertytype.PropertyType.get_DataTypeDefinition() +40
       umbraco.controls.GenericProperties.GenericProperty.UpdateInterface() +208
       umbraco.controls.GenericProperties.GenericProperty.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +24
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

:(

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 04, 2011 @ 18:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Angela

If you go to the "Settings" section and go to the media types folder and check file/image media types do they then have a property set, which is using the gecko uploadifier for instance?

/Jan

May 16, 2011 @ 12:54
    Angela

Hi Jan!

I reinstalled the packages which helped reintstate the media type properties for images and documents but not flash or videos - so I created new ones which deleted half of my media files in the media tree.. but I have a comparatively old version of Umbraco and I'm used to working in the root media folder anyway because of little bugs here and there.  I naively thought that an uninstall of a package would try and put things back the way they were before the install.  I'd like to say I won't make that mistake again.. :)

Thanks so much for your help everyone - I'm now going to post up my original problem with Contour!

Best wishes,

Angela

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft