Press Ctrl / CMD + C to copy this to your clipboard.
This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at
I am trying to run the Umbraco installer and connect to a remote web space hosted mySQL DB however every which way I try it fails.
I can connect to the remote DB from my PC at home using mySQL Workbench and make modifications, but using the same credentials the installer fails.
I have read about maybe its a port issue, but to test I turned off my firewall an still no joy?
I have added my IP to the web hosting remote access list also.
Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
Are you installing the pages locally on your own local machine and just using a remote DB. Or are the pages themselves on a remote web server as well?
Hi Brad, apologies for the delay in reply, I called it a night after posting and I wont be able to test further until tomorrow morning.
However, in response to your question, I was intitially trying to run the installer against the remote DB, but then as this was not working I installed MySQL / mySQL Workbench locally, but the installer still would not run correctly so I guess it must be something to do with my set up.
I have successfully connected to both the local instance of MySQL and the Remote instance DB via MySQL Workbench so I know they are both working. I have also tested creating tables in each DB from within WorkBench.
Many thanks for any advice.
Have you tried manually setting the connection string? Here is what mine looks like after a successful install.
Also- have you checked permissions? I think this install process writes the values that you put in the form into the web.config, so it could be failing if the permissions are not right.
Hi Brad, thanks for your reply.
I used the connection string from your post and this works for running the installer locally from my PC to my locally installed instance of mySQL.
So coming back to the original issue then is when I try to run the installer from my local PC but against the remote DB on my hosting, the installer still fails?
Any ideas why this may be?
This is still an outstanding issue for me, however uploading all files to the remote server and running the installer from there, with Identity Impersonate set to 'true' in the web config ran the installer successfully. I don't think the issue lies with Umbraco as such in this scenario, if I find out further information I will update this thread.
The remedy for this is to add port=XXXX; into the mySQL connection string. I can't believe it took that long to figure out. I hadn't used mySQL before now.
<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=XX.XXX.XX.X;port=XXXX;database=db_name;user id=user_id;password=PW;datalayer=MySql" />
I know this is an old topic but this helped me solve my problem yesterday so wanted to post for anyone else that may come here pulling their hair out!
I was connecting to a remote MySql database, I was able to connect to it via MySql Workbench and had used the connection string in the following format: <add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=XX.XXX.XX.X;port=XXXX;database=db_name;user id=user_id;password=PW;datalayer=MySql" />
However the Umbraco installer still couldn't connect to my database. This post mentioned setting identity impersonate to true. I did this and yey, it worked! So if you are having this problem, try adding the following tag to you web.config file in the <system.web> section...
<identity impersonate="true" />
is working on a reply...
Write your reply to:
Image will be uploaded when post is submitted