Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 15:20
    Jesper Ordrup

Karma calulations ..

I've noticed that on my profile my karma total has gone up about 90points but nevertheless I've only received 29 points the last 4 weeks according to the people list.

Is it a bug or is there some scheduled job that updates the karmapoints?

/Jesper

ps. I want my karma, dammit :-)

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 15:40
    Aaron Powell

I wonder if someone is hacking the database to make you look good Jesper ;)

I had wondered that too about my own, do you have any wiki articles which are likely to be upvoted, chances are they aren't included in the overall calculations.

Plus Dirk has received a lot according to the People page but isn't he still negative :P

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 17:27
    Peter Dijksterhuis

So, a lot of people are now getting karma-hungry and posting like idiots on the new forum? :P

Jun 30, 2009 @ 17:38
    Jesper Ordrup

@peter - aaahh yes :-) There's certainly a lot of activity going on. You can't be the first to answer as long as Dirk+may others is active :-)

@slace - i'm wondering if Dirk or you has setup a scheduled job to delete my karma (bastards)

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 23:34
    Aaron Powell

Err no... I haven't

*turns off timer job*

Jul 01, 2009 @ 01:04
  • Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 08:11
    Roel Snetselaar

The "People" list seems to work in a strange way, I've earned 31 karma within the last four weeks, but I don't appear on the "People" list. However I do see people on there who have less karma.

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 09:36
    Peter Dijksterhuis

@Roel

By filling in your profile you allread earn 20 points. Those do not count in the points earned last 4 weeks. So actually you only earned 11 points.

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Jul 02, 2009 @ 08:30
    Per Ploug

@Jesper, the points on the list is points with a datetime attached to it, during the beta testing at the retreat there where in some cases not logged a date, so that's why there is a difference.

Everything will even itself out in the following weeks as we actually get a timespan of 4 weeks to log points from  :)

Jul 02, 2009 @ 09:09
    Jesper Ordrup

That's totally fantastic. I was just wondering if there was a bug in the calculations .-)

/Jesper

Jul 04, 2009 @ 22:44
    Jesper Ordrup

@per .. I'm still wondering if theres a bug somewhere.

Example: during the last few days I've received some additional 40 - 50 karmapoints and yet there's only an increase of 1 or 2 karmapoints in the people list?

Jul 06, 2009 @ 10:59
    Per Ploug

I looked into it, just the thought of having a leak in the karma calculator gave me chills...

Anyway, this is how it works:

You earn points by:

Performing actions: voting things up/down, creating new items etc.

Getting voted on by other members based on your answers in the forum, your projects etc.

So we have two kinds of karma points that make up the number on your profile: The ones you get by performing constructive actions like voting and creating stuff (points as being the "Performer"), and then the ones you get from other members who appreciate your answers. (points as being the "receiver")

The karmalist consists of points you've received from other members who appreciate your efforts, and excludes the points you get from performing actions.

So there isn't a bug per se. But we could consider adding the points you gain as a performer to the list as well. They were excluded in the initial version because we don't want people to vote on random items just to get further up the list. On the other hand, these actions are a big part of how people act in a constructive way. So there are pros and cons IMO.

So it's not a bug, or a miscount,

but to avoid confusion on how karma works, I'll turn both kinds of points on in the karma list, it's more transparent and only fair that people who take their time to vote get their fair share of credit :)

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 06, 2009 @ 11:08
    Dirk De Grave

@Per: thanks for the clarification, think it's much clearer now how the whole karma stuff is working.

Jul 06, 2009 @ 14:31
    Jesper Ordrup

Thanks for the clarification. Insight is great.

The karma system will hopefully not be "the thing" that alone drives people to be helpful, but it will be a part. For some it will be a sport to gain as much karma as possible (yes .. I must admit, I look at the people regulary .. haha). If I think a bit ahead. A year from now we'll have this karma system, we might even use it to draw conclusions on different matters.

If we want to effectivly prevent a "karma debate" to reappear then we should consider total transparency. In effect: show the calculation on the profile.

/Jesper

Jul 06, 2009 @ 14:53
    Per Ploug

@jesper

True, there should be total transparency so people can see how the points are counted, the reason why we havn't done this yet is because the points are polled from different sources and requires quite a bit of datacrunching to display. So currently it uses very heavy caching.Don't want that to happen on each profile page before a more efficient way of pulling the data is in place. The solution is to do summaries once a day and store this in more accessible way then the current way.

Jul 06, 2009 @ 16:00
    Jesper Ordrup

Thanks Per

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 10:16
    Darren Ferguson

The problem I have with the Karma system is that it completly discounts any contributions made to the Umbraco community that are made anywhere other than this website.

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 09:45
    Chris Koiak

Maybe we could see the ability to vote for 'Community Blog' posts that are displayed on the our.umbraco homepage?

I don't know if this is a bit issue though, as I like the fact that all things umbraco are migrating here. It was a pain in the past to remember where you found a post/package/etc.

I'd certainly like to see a list of what feeds were being used to make up the 'community blogs'... but I'm going off topic.

Chris

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 09:56
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Chris, the Yahoo Pipe with all of the feeds is here: http://pipes.yahoo.com/hendy/umbraco

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft