Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jed 55 posts 80 karma points
    Jan 25, 2012 @ 14:24
    Jed

Cannot edit dropdown values

Having a hard time editing my dropdowns. I can edit them in the admin under developer > datatypes > myDropdown - when I click on each value (under settings) I get a text input to seemingly edit the value, but when I click 'save' the old prevalues remain. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Jan 25, 2012 @ 14:41
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. Any suspicious in the database log?

Jan 25, 2012 @ 16:14
    Jed

No, sorry, my mistake. Turns out it's a GUI issue. After testing I now see that after editing an entry you must click away from the input before you save, then the value is updated correctly. I was clicking on the value, the input would appear, I would edit the value and then, without clicking elsewhere, I would click the save icon. This does not work - the value isn't saved. You must click off the input (which is replaced by the edited value as plain text) before clicking save, then it works. 

But wait... that's revealed a proper bug - I have changed the values on my dropdown, but they have not changed on the front end! they appear correctly updated in the Umbraco admin, but the old values appear on the website (after republishing the entire site and clearing the browser cache) - what's up with that?

Jan 25, 2012 @ 17:17
    Rodion Novoselov

Perhaps, some browser-specific - I've just tried your scenario in FF9 and it works ok. Anyway, that's good that it's got resolved.

Jan 25, 2012 @ 17:23
    Jed

Hi Rodion, this is only partly resolved. The GUI issue (on IE9) is a minor frustration I can work around, but the fact my edited values dont update on the front end (see added note above) is a major concern, and a real bug - any ideas?

Jan 25, 2012 @ 17:41
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. Actually the value of drop-down list is stored as a string (text of the dro-down's item), not its integer id. And there's no reference control between these values and prevalues of the list. So that what happens - for instance - you set your prevalues to, say, "foo", "bar". Then set the document property to "foo" and it's stored in the DB copy of the document as "foo" and in the XML content copy of the document as "foo". Then you change your prevelues to "bazz" and "boo". But the document's property in the DB is still "foo". Republishing does nothing since republishing just clones the database copy of the document to the XML copy of the document (umbraco.config).

Jan 25, 2012 @ 17:44
    Jed

So how can I display the updated value on the front end? (And thanks for your help!)

Jan 25, 2012 @ 18:24
    Rodion Novoselov

You need to edit the document and publish it again - new text value of a drop-down list item will go to the document's property - it seems to be the only way to refresh it.

Jan 26, 2012 @ 11:16
    Jed

Thanks for that. It works, but it's a major problem if this is how nodes are updated. It makes Umbraco look wierd, to say the least. I knew its handling of form values was poor, but this is unusable for a site of any size. Having to manually edit and resave every node to update form values demonstrates remarkably bad information architechture. If form values must, for no apparent reason, be managed centrally, as they are in Umbraco, the least it could do is to save those values when nodes are published, or better, like most CMSs, publish articles when requested (and for those who think this is slow, it isn't nearly as slow as keeping all the text in your site in one massive XML document).  

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft