Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• SaphuA 124 posts 87 karma points
    Jul 10, 2009 @ 18:33
    SaphuA

Using the latest AjaxControlToolkit version

I asked this question in the old forum, but since it wasn't solved there I will ask it again.

How can I use the latest version of AjaxControlToolkit in my usercontrol's? I've tried overwriting the assembly in the /bin folder and I've tried renaming the newer version before referencing it, both without succes.

Thanks!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 12, 2009 @ 13:54
    Sebastiaan Janssen

It seems that if you upgrade your web.config so that Umbraco will use all of the .Net 3.5 goodness, you will also get the latest version of the AjaxControlToolkit (now built into 3.5 by default).

Get the Install guide for Umbraco with asp.net 3.5 (and the 3.5 web.config) here: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=23321

Hope this helps! :)

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jul 12, 2009 @ 14:34
    Aaron Powell

Be careful using the version of the AjaxControlToolkit which wasn't shipped with Umbaco. Because it's not the verison Umbaco was compiled against then there may be unexpected results.

It should be fine, but be careful.

v4.1 will ship with the latest AjaxControlToolkit version.

Jul 12, 2009 @ 17:10
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ajax.net in .net 3.5 is actually fully compatible with ajax.net 1.0 for .net 2.0. (whoa, that's a lot of version numbers in 1 sentence :P)

The ONLY thing you might run into is if you build packages around the version in .net 3.5, which has some new functionality in it. If you distribute a package that depends on the 3.5 version, then some people may experience problems running them.

Jul 13, 2009 @ 00:40
    Aaron Powell

@Sebastiaan - cool, never tried (i try and stick with framework versions), I just saw a tweet in the last week of someone saying they'd had problems with the latest toolkit in umbraco.

• Shannon Deminick 1526 posts 5272 karma points MVP 2x
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 04:38
    Shannon Deminick

Not sure what is using AjaxControlToolkit in the admin section but I'm hoping it's not needed and can be replaced with some jQuery... one less assembly that needs to be shipped with Umbraco!

Jul 13, 2009 @ 07:49
    Aaron Powell

@Shannon - sorry mate, looks like we're up a particular creek without a paddle. There's a class (umbraco.presentation.controls.Extenders.CustomDragDropExtender) which inherits AjaxControlToolkit.ExtenderControlBase.

Without breaking backwards compatibility (ie - removing that class) we can't remove the AjaxControlToolkit. The class is used internally of Umbraco too, in Canvas.

• Shannon Deminick 1526 posts 5272 karma points MVP 2x
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 08:14
    Shannon Deminick

Boo! AjaxControlToolkit and it's extenders are far too heavy... hopefully the core will agree that for version 5 we take it out!

Jul 13, 2009 @ 08:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Agreed, boo!

ASP.Net MVC uses jQuery by default anyway, so I see no reason to start pulling out ajax.net again (unless there's going to be heavy code re-use, but then what's the point of doing a rewrite?).

• SaphuA 124 posts 87 karma points
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 18:17
    SaphuA

Thanks for the replies, I have not tested any of the answers yet.

I wouldn't mind having the latest version of the Toolkit, as the current one is just too old. Plus that it saves a lot of hassle when using the Toolkit in your own control's.

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Nov 12, 2009 @ 18:53
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft