Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at


  • James Telfer 65 posts 165 karma points
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 11:43
    James Telfer
    0

    Page from one domain shown in another

    I'm hoping this is some sort of picnic* problem.

    I have a multi-domain Umbraco 4.0.2.1 instance setup with two separate content trees. One tree is the English version, the other is Dutch.

    That is:

     

    root
    + domain.nl
       + nederlands.aspx
       + common.aspx
    + domain.com
       + english.aspx
       + common.aspx

     

    This works, basically ... except.

    http://domain.com/nederlands.aspx works (and shouldn't - different content tree), as does http://domain.nl/english.aspx.

    Is there anyone that could shed some light on why this is happening please?

    Initially there was only one content tree, attached to the .com domain and serving Dutch content. When the English version was created, I copied the main tree, and moved the .com hostname to that tree. Then on the initial tree I added the .nl hostname. I've republished etc but to no avail. There is something here that I'm missing...

    Thanks for any help,
    James T

    *problem in chair, not in computer

  • Sebastiaan Janssen 4841 posts 14344 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 12:08
    Sebastiaan Janssen
    0

    Have you set the hostnames for domain.nl and domain.com correctly on the root of those sites?

    To do this, right-click domain.nl/com and choose Manage Hostnames.

  • Dirk De Grave 4532 posts 5977 karma points MVP 3x admin
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 12:18
    Dirk De Grave
    0

    Also, make sure to republish each root node (domain.nl and domain.com nodes in your case). And, do a 'Republish entire site' on the 'Content' node to make sure cached xml gets refreshed.

     

    Cheers,

    /Dirk

     

  • Gerben 38 posts 133 karma points
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 12:38
    Gerben
    2

    Also very important, set this setting in config\umbracoSettings.config.This will make sure that the /english.aspx url is only linked to your english URL, and not to the other one(s)!

     

        <useDomainPrefixes>true</useDomainPrefixes>

  • James Telfer 65 posts 165 karma points
    Sep 14, 2009 @ 16:36
    James Telfer
    0

    Many thanks to all who replied here; I didn't check the thread again, thinking that I'd get an email notification: I'm sorry for my lack of response.

    To answer your (quite pertinent) questions:

    • useDomainPrefixes was set to true,
    • I had republished the site a number of times,
    • I'm pretty sure that the hostnames were correctly set.
    The reason I think that the hostnames were set correctly is that the homepage was different for the two domains and the correct content was given on each domain. If a node existed in the content tree, this content was served. Referring to the structure in my original example, common.aspx was served in the Dutch and English versions correctly for the com and nl domains.
    The customer has since requested that the content be served from a single URL, so now I'm using the other strategy (with useDomainPrefixes turned off). The behaviour described above now doesn't happen, which is nice, but I don't know why it happened in the first place. I find it strange that it was reflexive.
    I tried a number of things (start/stop IIS, republish site, republishing nodes, etc) before I changed the site. I don't know when or how this behaviour stopped showing itself though.
    I'll keep an eye out to see whether this happens again, but in the meantime, thanks to all of you who replied for your time!
    Cheers,
    JT

  • James Telfer 65 posts 165 karma points
    Sep 14, 2009 @ 16:45
    James Telfer
    0

    Ah crap.

    I shouldn't write from memory, particularly when it was more than a month ago.

    I have no idea whether useDomainPrefixes was true or false: it's now false, so it probably would have been then too.

    I'm now using umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath=false to serve different content from the same domain, not useDomainPrefixes as I erroneously state above (grr).

    Strangely enough, I get a 404 in the current setup when I try to access items from the other content tree, regardless of the fact that useDomainPrefixes setting is still false.

    However, on another site that is still using multiple domains, I could reproduce my original problem. I set useDomainPrefixes to true and it went away.

    Thanks to Gerben for the fix and to Dirk and Sebastiaan for their help!

    Cheers,
    JT

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft