This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Collin 42 posts 62 karma points
    Feb 20, 2012 @ 15:25
    Collin

uploading a .mp4 file and accessing gives a 404

I have no idea what is happening, but this is the situation:

1. We have a asp.net wizard control that we use in umbraco
    2. The user uploads a .mp4 file to the server via this wizard
    3. The file is correctly uploaded to the server (no validation errors or server side errors etc)
    4. The file is shown in the umbraco media folder
    5. The file is present on the filesystem and can be played via quicktime
    6. But clicking on the link to the file (backend and frontend) will return a 404 error from umbraco
    7. Other files like images and pdf files work as espected (you can access and download them)

Does anyone have an idea what is causing this or how to solve it?

We are using Umbraco v 4.7.0 (Assembly version: 1.0.4163.19946).

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Feb 20, 2012 @ 16:23
    Thomas Höhler

Hi Collin,

did you check the IIS configuration that the mp4 file extensions is handled correctly? 

hth, Thomas

Feb 21, 2012 @ 09:57
    Collin

I'm not entirely sure how I should check that or what the correct setting(s) should be. I'm a programmer trying to figure out why something doesn't work for a client. Do you have something that could point me in the right direction?

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 10:34
    Thomas Höhler

Hi Collin,

I don't know which OS and therefore which IIS you have. In IIS 7.5 (Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2) you can go to the IIS Manager and then to your site. On the right pane you have some symbols. One should be the Mime-Types. There you can add the mp4 file extensions to handle as "video/mpeg". This tells the IIS that files with the file extension mp4 are static files that are directly called and not handled via ASP.NET.

In other server/IIS versions it's entirely the same but I have no direct example to give. If you have Windows Server 2003 or below search for MimeTypes with your IIS Version.

hth,
    Thomas 

Feb 21, 2012 @ 11:21
    Collin

I had no idea MIME types are linked to what IIS will serve to the user, which explains a lot:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/cd72c0dc-c5b8-42e4-96c2-b3c656f99ead.mspx?mfr=true

Thanks for the pointer (didn't realize you meant MIME types when you said file extensions). I've added the MIME types I needed for the files and now everything works as intended.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft