Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• SaphuA 124 posts 87 karma points
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 18:07
    SaphuA

Document Types Deleted

Hello,

After adding some entries to my Dictionairy for a Document Type I made, I changed the language of Administrator back to English and all my Document Types suddenly disappeared!

Strangly enough I can still watch the Content entries, except for the Document Type I added the Dictionairy items for, it throws the following exception (Browsing to Administrator throws the same exception):<span></span><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif;">Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: value

• Chris Dunn 75 posts 127 karma points
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 18:18
    Chris Dunn

Have you tried recycling the application pool?

Jul 13, 2009 @ 18:20
    Chris Dunn

Also try deleting the umbraco.config file to clear any cache and change or touch the web.config file to restart things and recreate the umbraco.config file.

Jul 13, 2009 @ 18:20
    SaphuA

I did now, without succes. Thanks though.

Jul 13, 2009 @ 18:30
    Chris Dunn

I posted another option a second before you and wanted to make sure you saw it.

Jul 13, 2009 @ 19:02
    SaphuA

I did see your reply, although I wasn't sure I fully understood it. Restarting the application didn't work and I do not have any umbraco.config file in my Umbraco installation.

Thanks

Jul 13, 2009 @ 19:15
    Chris Dunn

The file should be under the /data folder off the root. It's where umbraco stores a working cached version of your content nodes.

Jul 13, 2009 @ 19:59
    SaphuA

The cache was recreated, but didn't solve the issue.

Jul 13, 2009 @ 22:30
    SaphuA

Just to inform: I just installed a completely clean Umbraco installation which I attached to the Database of the one that didn't work. I get the exact same exceptions, so I'm pretty sure it's a database problem.

Jul 14, 2009 @ 10:38
    SaphuA

Spamming my own thread here...

I have decided to set up a new package and see what data I can still import. It's mostly the Document Types I am worried about. I was planning to make it a package after the translations were done, so hopefully everything is still in the database.

Anywho, I do think some of the Umbraco developers should look into this. I won't make it a bug on codeplex as I have no idea how I caused it (I don't think just changing the language did). I think it's pretty serious that a whole Umbraco installation will just crash on someone while doing such minimal changes.

Jul 15, 2009 @ 17:59
    SaphuA

Again sorry for the spamming!

But I finally found what caused all my troubles. Apperantly there is a bug in Umbraco that makes it crash on you when you create a Document Type and have it's name start with #.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 19:59
    Dirk De Grave

Please create a new work item in Codeplex, add scenario to repro and you'll get my vote ;)

TIA,

/Dirk

Jul 15, 2009 @ 21:19
    SaphuA

I did: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=23494

I can reproduce it by simply making a Document Item like #ContactForm, I forgot to add I'm using the 3.5 config, but I don't think that's a problem.

• Martin Langrock 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 11, 2009 @ 13:03
    Martin Langrock

Hi there,

I had the same problem, that I got this error, when trying to enter the Content section. Then I went to the documents as suggested in this post. I saw, that each document could not enter the masterpages folder. I added the aspnet user to the security settings. After having done these settings, there were some errors in my masterpages, solved them and then I could see my document settings and the Content pages. Everything works fine.

Hope this will help someone who is facing the same problem.

Best, Martin

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft