Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dominic Pettifer 51 posts 50 karma points
    Jul 14, 2009 @ 13:38
    Dominic Pettifer

Published Umbraco Page suddenly went Blank (Blank Page problem)

One of my Umbraco pages has suddenly turned blank white (absolutely no HTML markup) from the front end. I've checked the Umbraco backend, the page is published and has a Template set. Here is the page in question...

http://www.knowledge.scot.nhs.uk/child-services/communities.aspx

But this page (the parent) works fine...

http://www.knowledge.scot.nhs.uk/child-services.aspx

I have tried Unpublishing and republishing but that didn't help. I tried adding the ?umbDebugShowTrace=true querystring on the end and in red it says...

"Master template is the same as the current template. It would course an endless loop!"

I have had a look at the Master template and I can assure you that it is NOT pointing back to itself ('Master Template' dropdown field is set to 'None'). All other pages on that site are using the same template anyway. The last thing that happened before it stopped working was the node name was changed from something like 'Community Evidence' to 'Communities'.

So what could be the problem?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Some Stats:

umbraco v 4.0.0 (Assembly version: 1.0.3317.32692)
    ASP.NET 3.5
    IIS6 on Windows Server 2003

Jul 14, 2009 @ 13:53
    Dominic Pettifer

OK, on further investigate it would appear it doesn't like the word 'Communities'. If I rename it to anything else eg. Communities2, CommunitiesX etc. it suddenly works fine again. Now there is a node called 'Communities' a couple levels up in the tree, the tree looks like this:

Content
    |---Communities
    |---Child Services
    |---Communities

The top Communities node doesn't have a template set on it at all which is normal. Is there a possibility that somehow Umbraco is trying to load the Template for this top level Community even though the URL is /child-services/communities.aspx ?

Jul 14, 2009 @ 14:08
    Dominic Pettifer

Small note: I had to rename the page in the top-most link in the first post to get it working again for the client, so it will now return a 404. It is now:

http://www.knowledge.scot.nhs.uk/child-services/my-communities.aspx

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 14, 2009 @ 14:10
    Morten Bock

Do you by any chance have a template with the alias "Communities"? It could somehow be the AltTemplate handler that steps in here.

Jul 14, 2009 @ 14:23
    Dominic Pettifer

"Do you by any chance have a template with the alias "Communities"? It could somehow be the AltTemplate handler that steps in here."

Nope, the template in question is called 'CommunityPage.Master' and it's master template is called 'CLT_Master.Master', but there's no 'Communities.Master' template.

• Tobias 16 posts 61 karma points
    Apr 06, 2010 @ 16:14
    Tobias

I know its an old topic but I just had this problem and then I republished the entire site and that solved the problem.

• North Krimsly 59 posts 80 karma points
    Jul 21, 2010 @ 05:08
    North Krimsly

I was also having this problem-- I deleted the content page that was showing up blank, re-created it (with the same name), then republished entire site.  That fixed the problem.

-NorthK

• Brian Manning 22 posts 43 karma points
    Dec 09, 2010 @ 22:28
    Brian Manning

I also deleted the page and created a new one to fix it. I wanted to note that you can't just copy the page and rename, it has to be a fully new page.

• Matt Barlow | jacker.io 164 posts 740 karma points c-trib
    Jan 08, 2015 @ 12:27
    Matt Barlow | jacker.io

I know this is an old post, there are still legacy Umbraco 4.0 sites out there.. 

I had this issue because there was a duplicate key in the rewritemaps.config file. Unfortunately you will only be aware of this when there is an app pool recycle. So the duplicate key could sit there, then the app pool is refreshed (server reboot etc...) and the site will go blank.

For future reference. 

• Matt Barlow | jacker.io 164 posts 740 karma points c-trib
    Jan 08, 2015 @ 12:27
    Matt Barlow | jacker.io

I know this is an old post, there are still legacy Umbraco 4.0 sites out there.. 

I had this issue because there was a duplicate key in the rewritemaps.config file. Unfortunately you will only be aware of this when there is an app pool recycle. So the duplicate key could sit there, then the app pool is refreshed (server reboot etc...) and the site will go blank.

For future reference. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft