Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Essy 74 posts 96 karma points
    Mar 27, 2012 @ 08:21
    Essy

Pages with TinyMCE 3 fail to load in editor

I have a newly installed out-of-the-box version of Umbraco 4.7.1.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.4393.24044) installed in a full trust environment with an MSSQL database and the standard RichText editor datatype using TinyMCE version 3.

When an editor tries to view a page which uses this rte datatype it invariably takes a *very* long time to load and frequently (but not always) fails and reports an error in the database umbracoLog table:

At /umbraco/plugins/tinymce3/tinymce3tinymceCompress.aspx?rnd=8a8ef86b-f3de-4b2e-a17b-37393c6a14bb&module=gzipmodule&themes=umbraco&plugins=contextmenu,umbracoimg,paste,inlinepopups,table,spellchecker,advlink,media,noneditable,umbracocss,umbracomacro&languages=en

Sometimes a more detailed error is reported:

At /umbraco/plugins/tinymce3/tinymce3tinymceCompress.aspx?rnd=f28e06f3-6665-4cb7-87e9-156fa13f36dd&module=gzipmodule&themes=umbraco&plugins=umbracoimg,paste,inlinepopups,table,spellchecker,advlink,media,noneditable,umbracocss,umbracomacro&languages=en (Referred by: [my site url]): System.Web.HttpException (0x800704CD): The remote host closed the connection. The error code is 0x800704CD. at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.RaiseCommunicationError(Int32 result, Boolean throwOnDisconnect) at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ExplicitFlush() at System.Web.HttpResponse.Flush(Boolean finalFlush) at System.Web.HttpResponse.Flush() at System.Web.HttpWriter.WriteFromStream(Byte[] data, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at System.Web.HttpResponseStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count) at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.DoWrite(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count, Boolean isAsync) at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing) at System.IO.Stream.Close() at System.IO.Compression.GZipStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing) at System.IO.Stream.Close() at umbraco.presentation.plugins.tinymce3.GzipCompressor.Compress(Stream to_stream) at umbraco.presentation.plugins.tinymce3.GzipModule.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) at umbraco.presentation.plugins.tinymce3.tinymce3tinymceCompress.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

This happens regardless of the browser (I have tried it in IE9 and Chrome).

Inspecting Network during page load attempt shows that the following rarely succeeds in loading:

/umbraco/plugins/tinymce3/tinymce3tinymceCompress.aspx?rnd=e1c72e74-c089-4f6d-bd15-500b56b5f360&module=gzipmodule&themes=umbraco&plugins=umbracoimg,paste,inlinepopups,table,spellchecker,advlink,media,noneditable,umbracocss,umbracomacro&languages=en

The display of the *published* page is fine - it's just the editing interface.

If an editor views a page which doesn't use the RTE then it loads fine.

I have found that if I stop the page load (or switch to a non-RTE page) and re-select a page it sometimes temporarily fixes the problem but not always.

It appears to behave like some sort of caching problem (especially since I think it gets progressively worse throughout the day).

Umbraco is virtually unusable in this state .... I have heard that there is a similar problem with Firefox but this does not explain the behaviour I'm experiencing with IE/Chrome. Has anyone else got the same problem? Does anyone know of a fix?

• Jennifer Killingsworth 191 posts 247 karma points
    Mar 27, 2012 @ 14:57
    Jennifer Killingsworth

I'm sorry that I can't be of much help, but I'll tell you what I would do.

I would Google the error: "The remote host closed the connection. The error code is 0x800704CD" - that might point you in the right direction.  It sounds like there's a problem on the server-side.  Have you checked the event logs on the server - or just the Umbraco logs?  Sometimes the server logs provide additional information - that may point to a problem with the application pool or some other configuration problem.

Good luck!

Mar 27, 2012 @ 15:06
    Essy

Have already done what you suggested ...

- the error code just indicates that the client connection was broken before the download completed.

- server-side appears to be ok

- seems unlikely to be a config since the configuration is standard as out-of-box and it happens on both shared host server and local host development PC

Mar 27, 2012 @ 15:23
    Essy

Investigating further ... seems to be possibly IIS7 related

• Jennifer Killingsworth 191 posts 247 karma points
    Mar 27, 2012 @ 15:26
    Jennifer Killingsworth

Well there are only two possibilities - either something is wrong with the install or something isn't set up correctly on the box its installed on.

If you did a manual install - the windows unzip sometimes prevents all the files from being extracted - so I use 7-zip instead.  If you've verified that all the files from the 4.7.1.1 build were extracted and installed -- then the problem is on the server-side.

So I'd check IIS, the application pool, etc. to make sure they're set up to run your Umbraco installation correctly - that's what I mean by checking the server configuration.

• MrFlo 159 posts 403 karma points
    Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:41
    MrFlo

Or may be you didn't unblock the zip file before installing Umbraco ? some files are blocked when your are unzipping the installation files.

Mar 30, 2012 @ 13:14
    Essy

No that's not it. I definitely unblocked the zip

Sep 18, 2012 @ 09:07
  • Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    Jan 10, 2013 @ 15:42
    Lennart Stoop

I'm finding the same error messages in Umbraco logs, and TinyMCE isn't rendering either on our client's staging server.

We are using Umbraco 4.10.1 & it works perfectly on our internal dev & staging servers.

I have tried a lot of things, such as checking file permissions and reuploading config/plugin/tinymce files over and over again..

I even had umbraco.editorcontrols rebuilt after having turned off compression in the GzipModule.

No luck so far..

But I sure can't be blaming a router?

• Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    Jan 10, 2013 @ 16:53
    Lennart Stoop

Nevermind, it turns out our client's staging server is behind a reversed proxy.. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft