Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• SaphuA 124 posts 87 karma points
    Jul 19, 2009 @ 01:53
    SaphuA

Down voting

I keep coming across posts that are voted down without any comments stating why. Personally I see no use in this system if there is no way to tell why a post is voted down. This random voting might even hold people back in posting 'simple' questions.

There are a few ways that, in my opinion, would improve this system:

- Require a comment before voting

- Require a reply on the post before voting

- Don't make voting anonimous

What does the rest think?

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Jul 19, 2009 @ 02:19
    Ron Brouwer

Al tree options require that its not anonimous considering the fact that anonimous comments could cause even wors situations.
    If it's not anonimous, people wil yust vote for the other because the other voted for them
    so thats not a solution.

In my opinion it should not be posible to punnish but only to reward someone.

So disable down voting for a better world :).

Ron

• SaphuA 124 posts 87 karma points
    Jul 19, 2009 @ 11:49
    SaphuA

You could have anonimous comments though.

Not voting down is perhaps a little extreme, but I like the idea. Instead of voting down you could always have an option to 'notify administrator'.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 19, 2009 @ 15:00
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I don't think downvoting without reason is a problem at all. Currently, it does not seem to happen a lot and it is not necessary very often because of the high quality of posts on the forum.

However, I would suggest that if the downvoting gets ugly in the future, to base that off the StackOverflow model as well. Whenever you downvote something there, you get a penalty in your karma points, downvoting is very costly and should not be done lightly.

It can be useful to downvote something though, just so other people know to skip a reply or a post because it is believed to be of low quality. It allows for the community to regulate itself. Your idea of flagging it for review by the admin has a top-down approach and doesn't allow the community to decide what is good and what is not.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft