Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Xiuqing Li 12 posts 33 karma points
    May 09, 2012 @ 10:01
    Xiuqing Li

Problem in moving the Global Elements in to Website content

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem. I want to move the Global Elements into site one,The exception happens when I right click on global Elements select 'move' or 'copy'. 

-------------------------------content tree

Content

--site one

--Global Elements

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.dialogs.moveOrCopy.CheckPermissions(CMSNode node, IAction currentAction, Char actionLetter) +53
       umbraco.dialogs.moveOrCopy.CheckPermissions(CMSNode node, IAction currentAction, Char actionLetter) +158
       umbraco.dialogs.moveOrCopy.CheckPermissions(CMSNode node, IAction currentAction, Char actionLetter) +158
       umbraco.dialogs.moveOrCopy.ValidAction(Char actionLetter) +156
       umbraco.dialogs.moveOrCopy.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1468
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

Thanks in advance,

Li

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

• Simon steed 374 posts 686 karma points
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 20:03
    Simon steed

Just encountered the same error myself - for me i've just created a package of content from another site and imported into a new build which has the same datatypes, doc types etc

When I try to move to the new location, I get the same error - running 4.7.2

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Jun 10, 2012 @ 21:08
    Simon Dingley

I also have the same issue in a multi-site installation. Strangely it only affects the first root node and all other seem fine.

Jun 10, 2012 @ 21:30
    Simon Dingley

On a hunch as I've not got time to dig into this further right now I installed the great Content Maintenance Dashboard package by Richard Soeteman and was able to move the node using that :) I hope you guys have the same success.

Jun 11, 2012 @ 09:49
    Simon steed

Thanks, I got around the initial issue by copying the nodes I wanted over to the new location, not ideal but did the job - hopefully it will be sorted in the next patch :-)

Jun 11, 2012 @ 09:56
    Simon Dingley

I'd be interested to find out why it's even being thrown in the first place and only on selected nodes. I have some time to burn tomorrow while travelling to #CG12 so will try and look then. Are you going to be there?

Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:18
    Simon steed

Most certainly will - where are you staging? I'll be at Wakeup

Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:20
    Xiuqing Li

Thanks for the idea Simon Dingley. To Simon steed, Can you briefly tell me how to you " got around the initial issue by copying the nodes I wanted over to the new location " ? thanks

Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:25
    Simon Dingley

Staying at Wakeup too. Myself and Barry Fogarty I think land about 5pm tomorrow, local time.

Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:41
    Simon steed

Excellent - not sure what time we land but plane leaves at 10:50am.

Re the copying, right click on the node and select copy instead of move or use the package Simon mentioned. You may need to alter your doc types so that the place you want to copy to will accept the parent item but apart from that should work fine.

Jun 11, 2012 @ 11:09
    Xiuqing Li

In my case, It appears the same error message as when I am trying to move the Global Elements content folder.

Jun 11, 2012 @ 11:21
    Simon Dingley

Xiuqing Li, that's the behaviour I would have expected. Content Maintenance Dashboard does not have the same issue as it uses it's own UI to move the node(s).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft