Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alexander 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 16:16
    Alexander

The performance problem when working with data (several thousand business entities)

I investigated performance of Umbraco.
    I created business entities by C# and compared a response time of the site pages (I not opened page with viewing business entities). After data generation and before comparing I restarted the site on IIS.
    All my business entities refer to an only one document type with 4 properties (title, price, is sale, description [10 words]).

My results:
    Version 4.72, Stable:
    After adding 25 000 business entities the site could not be started (timeout error).

Version 5.1 CMS (RC) Apr 19 2012, Beta:
    After approximately 2 200 business entities the site crashed with the error: “The incoming tabular data stream (TDS) remote procedure call (RPC) protocol stream is incorrect. Too many parameters were provided in this RPC request”.
    The admin part and public part were not opened.

Version 5.1 CMS Apr 27 2012, Stable:
    After approximately... 100 (a hundred only) business entities the site crashed with some LINQ error on rendering view. The admin part and public part were not opened.

My question:
    Does the "Umbraco” team plan to improve performance?
    What result can we expect and when?

My choice of CMS will depend on your answers on this questions.
    I really like “Umbraco”, but its performance is the weak link.

P.S. Code from adding
    business entities (v5.1):
    Hive.Cms().NewRevision("Toy-generated-" + num, "Toy-generated-" + Guid.NewGuid(), "plasticToy")
    .SetParent(parentContentId)
    .SetValue("aName", "Toy generated E" + num)
    .SetValue("aDescription", descriptionGenerator.Next(10))
    .SetValue("aSale", (DateTime.Now.Ticks % 5 == 0))
    .SetValue("aPrice", DateTime.Now.Second)
    .Publish()
    .Commit();

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 20:38
    Richard Soeteman

You might want to check out this thread which describes the performance issues with Umbraco v5 and in which version to expect improvements

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/umbraco-5-general-discussion/28565-Umbraco-5-Performance-issues

Hope this helps you for now,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft