Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jude Fawley 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 09:33
    Jude Fawley

Absolute path when error

Hi, we are using Umbraco for the company's website. The issue is that in case of any error that happens on the website, an error message is sent including the absolute path of the files on the server along with the database table name that it refers to.My company considers this as a risk. An earlier communication was done with some Umbraco developers, and the advise was not to modify any of the codes in Umbraco to meet a specific requirement.

I would like to know if there is any future releases/updates that would address this issue.

Regards,

Jude

• Drew 165 posts 340 karma points
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 10:02
    Drew

Hi Jude,

By default, any ASPX based sites will show the full stack of the error message based on the CustomErrors setting in the sites web.config.

What you want to check out is what this is set to on your site(s).
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/h0hfz6fc(v=vs.71).aspx 

By default in the latest Umbraco builds this is set to "RemoteOnly" which means that you can only see the full error message stack if you're on the service that the site is running on, otherwise you get a plain IIS based "an error occured" message.
    (All ASPX based sites default to RemoteOnly and as far as I've known, it's always been defaulted to RemoteOnly for Umbraco too).

If its set to "Off", then anyone will see the full error message. 

Also, check that the site has debug turned off - so in the web.config check that umbracoDebugMode and 'debug' in the compilation section are both set to 'false'.

If you think that it's still an issue, you can also raise a request for it to be reviewed and considered as a change:
    http://our.umbraco.org/contribute/report-an-issue-or-request-a-feature 

Cheers,
    Drew 

• Jude Fawley 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 08, 2012 @ 13:46
    Jude Fawley

Thanks Drew for the reply. Let me check with my team about the settings.

Regards,

Jude

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft