Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dave2112 17 posts 35 karma points
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 21:30
    dave2112

Pages disappear from website

Hi, I have version 4.0.1 installed on a Win 2003 IIS 6 server (asp.net 2.0).  Everything works fine most of the time and we have no problems.

But occassionally it seems that all the pages disappear from the website and visitors get the standard "Looks like there is still work to do" / under construction page.

When I sign in and re-publish the entire website, everything is fine.  But I was hoping someone would know how to stop this from happening in the first place.

I was thinking it may be something to do with the cache but not sure

Thanks in advance

• Tom 50 posts 100 karma points
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 21:36
    Tom

We had the same problem, the backup software was locking the /data/config.xml file. After killing the backup proces and re-publish everything was fine. It looks to me you have a similar problem with the /data/config.xml file. Did you check your event viewer for unusual events?

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 21:37
    Peter Dijksterhuis

9 out of 10 times this is caused by permission-problems (or owner-ship).

You are correct, it is caching. When the application-pool restarts (which happens every now and then depending on the settings), umbraco loads the content into memory from the umbraco.config-file.

There is where the problem probably is. 

Try deleting that file (it is in the data-folder). Then, touch the web.config-file to force an application-restart. The umbraco.config-file should be automatically recreated from the data in the DB.

Then, alter a page and publish it. The umbraco.config-file should again be altered.

If both cases (or 1 of them) do not happen, you have to set the right permissions on the data-folder.

HTH,

Peter

Aug 10, 2009 @ 21:53
    dave2112

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply.  I did find this...

ISAPI 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll' reported itself as unhealthy for the following reason: 'Deadlock detected'.

The strange thing is that this happened 8 hours before the scheduled backup was due to start, could something else have caused this?

Thanks again!

Aug 10, 2009 @ 21:56
    dave2112

Hi Peter, I'll try testing the permissions as you suggest.  All of my Umbraco files are stored in my httpdocs folder, Network Service has full control of this folder, are there any other permissions I need to set?  Thanks

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 22:18
    Peter Dijksterhuis

I'd try deleting the umbraco.config file first and touch the web.config. If there is allready full control for Network Service, it might be an ownership-problem.

If that doesn't work, Network Service isn't necessarily the user that needs full permission. On a server, it depends how the Application-pool is configured. By default, it runs under Network Service, but it can be changed. You should check the hosting provider for that. If a different user is configured, well, that user then needs full control on the data-folder (and others offcourse)

• [email protected] 7 posts 23 karma points
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 18:54
    greggd@tempworks.com

I also have experienced problems with the umbraco.config file.  When our network admin reboots the webserver every first Friday night of the month i get a call that the website is down (get the message "looks like there is still work to do").  I now understand this to mean that the Umbraco.config file is corrupt or not there...in our case the file is completely gone.   

I get the system back up by restoring an old copy of umbraco.config and then republishing the site although even this seems to not work completely as the old contents of the the umbraco.config are what displays on the website.  After various fidling and republishing of different nodes, everything seems to get back in order.  

Note to forum admin: the login link on the following page is incorrect <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} p {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

http://our.umbraco.org/member/forgot-password?

• [email protected] 7 posts 23 karma points
    Aug 19, 2009 @ 18:55
    greggd@tempworks.com

"http://our.umbraco.org/member/forgot-password?"

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft