Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Steer 161 posts 596 karma points
    Dec 19, 2012 @ 11:45
    Tom Steer

No Parent Nodes in Umbraco - 500 Error on web service calls

Hello,

I am just in the process of moving a site from development to live and have suddenly hit an error.

When I go to the Umbraco Admin UI no nodes appear for an section.

I have noticed that I get a 500 Internal Server Error for the following web service calls:

/umbraco/webservices/CheckForUpgrade.asmx/CallUpgradeService

/umbraco/webservices/TreeClientService.asmx/GetInitAppTreeData

Both there errors returned are:

startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.
    Parameter name: startIndex

[ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.
    Parameter name: startIndex]
       System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy) +10662543
       System.Web.Compilation.DiskBuildResultCache.MarkAssemblyAndRelatedFilesForDeletion(String assemblyName) +60
       System.Web.Compilation.DiskBuildResultCache.CacheBuildResult(String cacheKey, BuildResult result, Int64 hashCode, DateTime utcStart) +9508724
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CacheBuildResultInternal(String cacheKey, BuildResult result, Int64 hashCode, DateTime utcStart) +70
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) +9929866
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) +299
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) +103
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean throwIfNotFound) +165
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetCompiledType(VirtualPath virtualPath) +10
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetCompiledType(String virtualPath) +28
       System.Web.Script.Services.WebServiceData.GetWebServiceData(HttpContext context, String virtualPath, Boolean failIfNoData, Boolean pageMethods, Boolean inlineScript) +141
       System.Web.Script.Services.RestHandler.CreateHandler(HttpContext context) +102
       System.Web.Script.Services.RestHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, String url, String pathTranslated) +62
       System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, String url, String pathTranslated) +47
       System.Web.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +346
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +155

Has anyone else seen this before?

Many Thanks,

Tom

Dec 19, 2012 @ 15:27
    Tom Steer

This appears to be based on some permissions error.

• sodaDreamer 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 21:23
    sodaDreamer

I know this is a little old now, but by any chance did you find a fix for this?  I've just migrated to the live server and getting the exact same exception.  Tried checking folder permissions using the steps suggested in the wiki but that seems to suggest everythings ok.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Feb 13, 2013 @ 22:22
    Tom Steer

I can't completly remeber how I fixed this now. It was defiantly a permissions error in my case, I know that.

Could you possible post the permissions you currently have setup for your sites directory?

Thanks,

Tom

• sodaDreamer 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 16, 2013 @ 12:03
    sodaDreamer

Thanks for the reply.  I'll have to check with the hosting provider and see if they can tell me.  I can see that the account must have write permissions for at least the App_Data folder as it recreates files if I clear it out.  I can't see a reason for different folders to have different permissions though - I would've thought they'd all just inherit from the root folder.  I know the host is running in medium trust so I could see that may cause issues, but I can set that up on my local IIS and it seems ok.

I've played around in the web.config adding handlers etc and I haven't got anywhere except I have seen nodeSorter.asmx responding correctly, but changing the web.config seems to break it again.  Reverting the change then seems to make no difference!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft