Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lou 59 posts 169 karma points
    Jan 21, 2013 @ 01:52
    Lou

Upgrade Bugs

I have been trying to upgrade from 4.7.1 to 4.9.1.  This is my 34 attempt.  I am doing it incrementally.  This problem occurs when I upgrade from 4.7.1 to 4.8.1.  My database is MySQL.  

The upgrade freezes when it gets to the database section, all notes say there are no database changes in this upgrade so why is it freezing at 35%?

Also why when I am UPGRADING does it say ;

Installing Umbraco

The Umbraco database is being configured. This process populates your chosen database with a blank Umbraco instance.

At the start it says its an Upgrade.  

Why do questions about upgrades freezing get no replies?

Why do we have to make manual changes to upgrades?

Why is there no error message, there should be Try Catch statements that provide feedback to the user?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 21, 2013 @ 19:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lou

Wow, that's pretty frustrating - I'm sorry this seems to be so difficult :-/

I've unfortunately not had the pleasure of doing an upgrade on MySQL but in fact there is a minor database upgrade in 4.8.1, which is also mentioned in the "What's new" section here: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/92481

However I don't know if that could perhaps be the cause of your issue?

Have you tried having a look at the console log to see if something is missing? Does it give any server errors for files that are not found? Is there any usefull information in the server logs perhaps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Jan 22, 2013 @ 00:32
    Lou

Hi Jan

Its now 48 times I have tried to upgrade, there is nothing in the IIS log or the system log or the application log.

I did notice that even though it had frozen the Upgrade, I could get into the backend.  I noticed that my Contour I con was missing.  I thought it could be a Contour version problem, so I removed the Contour package and tried again.

No luck it still froze. No messages or warnings, just a frozen Upgrade page which says its Installing and  populating my database with a blank instance of Umbraco.

Lou

Jan 22, 2013 @ 00:55
    Lou

Hi Jan

I just did another test.  I got a new install of 4.7.1.1 and with the simple starter kit and the Frejo skin using MySQL.  I then tried to upgrade it to 4.9.1 and it froze updating the database at 35%.

So this problem has nothing to do with anything I have done to my website, or any packages I have installed.  It is an Umbraco upgrade bug.

Lou

• Leon Degeling 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jan 22, 2013 @ 01:11
    Leon Degeling

Hi Lou,

I had the same problem during one of the upgrades between 4.7 and 4.9.
    I don't remember the exact fix, but i do know how i researched the problem.

During the database upgrade the webclient does ajaxcalls to obtain the progress of the upgrade.
    These ajax-calls must be visible in your IIS-LOG. I found that when i manually entered the ajaxcall that i found in the log 
    on the addressbar of my browser I got a very clear errormessage that was easily fixed.

If you don't see any lines in the iislog you may need to change the log settings in inetmgr

Leon

Jan 22, 2013 @ 01:58
    Lou

I jst did three more upgrades on the Vanilla 4.7.1 Umbraco, to see if I could get any info in my IIS logs.

I have no errors in the log and nothing appears to be missing or not found.

I get lots of entries like this, and this is the last one;

2013-01-22 00:53:13 W3SVC3 DEV-PC ::1 GET /install/utills/p.aspx feed=progress 7256 - ::1 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64)+AppleWebKit/537.17+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/24.0.1312.52+Safari/537.17 ASP.NET_SessionId=vi5yiw50rx3fowj4n4qltots;+__atuvc=3%7C4;+UMB_UCONTEXT=833dcd33-f943-4790-b3c1-5045eb5cfe28 http://localhost:7256/install/default.aspx?installStep=database localhost:7256 200 0 0 458 620 4

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 21:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lou

That really is odd - perhaps this should be reported as a bug on the issue tracker - I don't know if it's because there perhaps is a bug with upgrading on MySQL?

What are the server details? IIS version etc. ?

/Jan

Mar 08, 2013 @ 11:43
    Lou

Hi

I just upgraded from 4.7.1 to 6.0.2 with MySQL after removing our dependencies to Global.asax.  It was the best upgrade I have done and I've tried a few.  It looks like the Umbraco team have done a lot of work.

Congratulations to the Umbraco team for a very good job.

Lou

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft