Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jan 23, 2013 @ 19:06
    Niels Hartvig

We've moved Our Umbraco

Due to the last days issues with the servers, we've moved Our Umbraco to new servers. We think we got everything transfered, but if something isn't working let us know in the comments.

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5053 posts 15508 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 23, 2013 @ 19:43
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Might be a pre-existing bug but the topics list on the front page is missing your avatar/name, it was there earlier. Also, did you get an email notification for this comment?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2013 @ 21:40
    Lee Kelleher

@cultiv - I've seen that bug before, usually happens when a comment is deleted (e.g. spam).  The modified date must remain, but loses the user?

Cheers, Lee.

• Robert 1 post 21 karma points
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 06:31
    Robert

Searching for a package inside the package manager gives a 500 error.

• Comment author was deleted

Jan 24, 2013 @ 09:43

Email notifications for comments dont seem to be working 

• Ben McKean 272 posts 549 karma points
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 10:46
    Ben McKean

May have been a pre existing one but paging on the forum pages could do with show 1-10 or something. Currnetly showing every page....  http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/xslt

• Jason 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 15:20
    Jason

I tried editing my post here:  http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/37779-Template-Alias-Browsing-Configuration-Issue

After submitting the edit, I'm taken to a page that says this:

Error parsing XSLT file: \xslt\forum-commentsList.xslt

And the edits I made do not appear on the page.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 07:10
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi guys

I don't think that the e-mail service is working - I'm not receiving any e-mail when people reply to a post I participate in.

Cheers,
    Jan 

• John C Scott 473 posts 1183 karma points
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 07:18
    John C Scott

Just had some errors using the member locator.

I was hoping to use it to find Lee Messenger :) He may have a package I need :D

• Fredrik Malmström 1 post 21 karma points
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 07:38
    Fredrik Malmström

This error occurred for me just about now, after I had  change my avatar.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 07:53
    Jeroen Breuer

Email service is still not working. Might be nice to give a warning about that. I was waiting for a reaction, while someone already posted it :-p.

Jeroen

Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:38

Notifications seem to be back :)

Jan 25, 2013 @ 12:03
    Jan Skovgaard

Yup, I'm getting "spam" now :)

• William Burnett 213 posts 262 karma points
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 14:14
    William Burnett

Unable to EDIT a post:

Resulting error:

• Calbeth 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 15:02
    Calbeth

Can't edit code in a post. When I click to edit post, anything "preformatted" is blank. I'm afraid to save for fear it'll disappear!

Jan 25, 2013 @ 16:31
    Jan Skovgaard

I think the "Edit post" bug is something that unfortunately has been here on our for a long time - I don't believe it's related to the server move.

But of course it's something that should be fixed and if I remember correctly it has been fixed in a development version, which has not yet been deployed.

Our is actually open sourced so it's possible to contribute if you would like - here is the repo https://github.com/umbraco/OurUmbraco and here is the issue tracker can be found here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issues?q=%23OUR+

So if you feel like it and have some spare time, feel free to contribute :)

/Jan

• Arman 16 posts 50 karma points
    Jan 28, 2013 @ 20:34
    Arman

When tried to update my Post in forum, XSLT error occured : 

• Manish 373 posts 932 karma points
    Jan 29, 2013 @ 04:46
    Manish

I have a node in XML with the name "productPageTitle" and I dont want this node to be a part of search result.

<ExcludeNodeTypes>
          <add Name="titleProperties"/>
        </ExcludeNodeTypes>

So I used <ExcludeNodeType> but still as a part of result.

How can I exclude this node from search results?

Jan 29, 2013 @ 04:50
    John C Scott

hi manish - this thread was for problems with the our site itself - you may find you can get a better answer to your question in the http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/xsltsearch/xsltsearch-how-to which is more specifically about xslt search 
    hth
    John 

Jan 29, 2013 @ 13:24
  • Edward Brey 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 29, 2013 @ 20:31
    Edward Brey

Don't know if this is due to the server moving, but on the Cheatsheets page, "DynamicNode Razor API" link causes an infinite redirect.

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Jan 30, 2013 @ 07:57
    Fuji Kusaka

Guys,

Am getting 100 Karmas for a solved threat !!

Jan 30, 2013 @ 08:08
    Jeroen Breuer

It says 100 karma points, but I don't think the karma of the user goes up a 100.

Jeroen

• Patrick McAndrew 7 posts 27 karma points
    Jan 30, 2013 @ 21:14
    Patrick McAndrew

Probably not related to the upgrade, but it is an issue with our:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/37225-Unable-to-reset-password-in-our

• Thomas Kuijper 3 posts 24 karma points
    Feb 01, 2013 @ 09:59
    Thomas Kuijper

I cant seem to delete any of my topics. is that a bug?

Feb 01, 2013 @ 19:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Seems that there is a problem with the e-mails again? Am I the only one not receiving "spam" anymore? :)

/Jan

Feb 01, 2013 @ 20:07

Well I got this notification so...

Feb 01, 2013 @ 20:11
    Jan Skovgaard

Hmm...maybe there's a que on the server or my network simply just sucks perhaps...:'(

• Eyal Lavi 4 posts 24 karma points
    Feb 03, 2013 @ 23:46
    Eyal Lavi

When starting a new topic, the suggsted links under 'similar topics' all point to our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/NewTopic#

• Richard Barg 358 posts 532 karma points
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 22:44
    Richard Barg

Editing a post fails in Chrome w/the errror below.  It works fine in IE9.

Feb 04, 2013 @ 22:48
    Richard Barg

It seems like you should have a link in the banner of of the forum site (top of hte page)  to the main public Umbraco site. Why stick it on the bottom of the page in tiny print?

• Martin Mihaylov 8 posts 28 karma points
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 23:07
    Martin Mihaylov

Hello, not sure if this is the place to report this, but this page

http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/templating/masterpages/umbracomacro

has a redirect looop.

Regards, Martin

• Jon R. Humphrey 164 posts 455 karma points c-trib
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 00:02
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 04:16
    William Burnett

Just my two cents, and I mean no disrespect to anybody who helps to develop or maintain this site or the Umbraco core... But as much as I hate to keep complaining (I really do) this whole experience is a total mess with no resolution in site.

• This forum barely works, even when it is working. (to many issues to list) but overall it just feels very clunky.
    • The forums are not well organized so folks who need help often post in the wrong forum.
    • The forums are not well moderated, so posts are not moved to where they should be.
    • Dozens of questions go unanswered, many of them important.
    • Critical information is spread between the forum, the blog, codeplex and the bug tracker. Disorganized insanity.

To be kind, this is one of the most disorganized projects I have ever seen. That is, everything to do with Umbraco (other than Umbraco itself) is a frustrating mess. Don't get me wrong, I see a LOT of hard work and a LOT of talent. I just a lot of disorganization and that makes the whole experience frustrating. I have attempted to get many other developers interested in this product, but most of them decline after visiting this site and/or attempting to work through a simple install using the documentation found at codeplex.

My advice (take it for what you paid for it)... 

1. Put a rigid documentation requirement in place. Nothing gets released until FULLY PROOFREAD and INCLUSIVE documentation can be posted with it. This MUST be the core team, as the "community" is simply (and clearly) not capable of doing the work.
    2. Re-organize the forum structure so that it is more relevant.
    3. Moderators need to MOVE posts to the proper forums.
    4. Core Team members need to be more visible on the forums and answer questions that go unanswered by the community. This is highly important.
    5. Fix the bugs here or move to a platform that does not have bugs. I understand the desire to run on Umbraco, but if the "team" is constantly wasting time trying to fix the broken site, then it is not spending time fixing core bugs, writing the missing documentation and paying attention to all the other important details.

It appears to me that forum traffic is very low, at least from a contribution standpoint. I would assert that the problems above are not helping matters and in fact are likely driving away plenty of would-be Umbraco users and/or forum contributors.  

Sorry if I upset anybody, but I am well beyond frustrated, even though I love Umbraco and would not dream of using another CMS.

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 13:47
  • Ben McKean 272 posts 549 karma points
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 17:56
    Ben McKean

When creating a post there is a helpful section on the right hand side that gives you similar posts so you don't create duplicates.

Unfortunately when I now click on these it doesn't go anywhere!

Feb 06, 2013 @ 18:45
    Richard Barg

This is response to William Burnett's long post above.  One issue in the post above caught my attention: "Critical information is spread between the forum, the blog, codeplex and the bug tracker." deserves further discussion and I'm going to do so in several posts. While I do not agree with William's statement that the system amounts to organized insanity, I can understand the underlying frustation that would cause a senitment like this.

An easy way to navigate between Umbraco sites is sorely missing. This is a defect in information architecture and suggests a  lack of foresight and planning at HQ. I'm talking specfically about the main Umbraco site, the Umbraco forums, the blogs, Codeplex etc., bugs et. From a user/developer perspective, there are a bunch of silos with no easy way to get in betweent them other than use browser shortcuts and links of you own creation. Navigation should ideally appear at the top of the screen for each of these Umbraco sites so you can mover seameless betweent them, and this should appear at the top page  either in the banner area or close thereabouts.  The navigation controls should be be clear and conspicuous.  Being able to navigate should not require a trip to an obscure tiny footer at the bottom of the page.

This is a fairly elementary concept,  unfortunately, it's another example of unable to see the forrest from the trees.  Or if you will, the shoemaker with no shoes to wear.

Feb 06, 2013 @ 18:52
    Richard Barg

Subject: Posting and editing replies - forum anomalies - silly error messages

Last night, I wrote the above post in my Ipad in IOS 6 which uses the mobile Safari browser based on webkit.  When I clicked submit, the post was not added to the thread. Fortunately, I had copied it to the clipboard. I ended up emailing it to myself and posting it this morning.   

My browser of choice is Chrome.  I can't edit a prior post w/out getting an XSLT error from this system. This suggests a bug.  I have posted about it several times and written a HQ directly about it. It still persists. It failed in IE as well today.

There have been times I have received error messages on the forum where the message was written in a joking and silly way  seee below. I like humor but bugs, issues w/searching posts and such are not funny to developers and others who get paid by the hour and must waste time on these issues. The error message below, considered in context, is not professional.

Feb 06, 2013 @ 19:16
    Richard Barg

Subject:  Searching Forums, Display of forum messages, Failure to have targeted searches, no boolean support, poor user interface, wiki and projects checked by default and presented in suboptimal way, 

This is also a response to William Burnett's long post above. In general, I would agree that searching forum results is suboptimal.  I thinks the posts themselves are in the right categories and there is decent cross-referencing. I will focus here on inadquete searching of posts.

The Umbraco forum, considered as a whole, is a valuable repository of information for developers and others. It's essentially a knowledge-base.  The ability to query  database of comments  is sorely.

A fairly precise query can bring up thousands of results and hundreds of fairly short "pages" of results. There is no ability to use Boolean operator either on the command line "MNTP NOT Umbraco" returns a silly error message. Likewise there is no user control that allows for advanced searches that implement Boolean operators such as Google advanced search or numerous other search engines. The only query filter is in a dropdown, itself a poor design, allowing for "forum", "project"  and "wiki". (Why not make them radio buttons so you can easily check and uncheck them.)

Surprisingly, the best way to search a forum is to pretend to create a new post and then start typing a title and body.  As noted earlier, posts line up along the right side (which apparently fail as links now, according to one post above). These results seem to be more accurate than searching the forums. They also don't require you to constanly uncheck projects and wikis which I suspect most users don't want turned on by default.  Having to use the above "workaround" to get a targeted search is a kluge and the result of poor design and inattention to detail.

Feb 06, 2013 @ 19:24
    Richard Barg

Hide the ball - How to mark a forum post answered? - obsure rating system "Kharma"

This is another problem w/the forum system.  How do you mark a post as having been answered.  I have done this before, but have forgotten and there is no obvious way to do this. Does anyone know? Why isn't this obvious.  Does HQ really want resolved issues to show as unresolved. And what does a Kharma rating mean?  Is that really a good way to evaluate the quality of a post?   Is this a forum for hippie developers?

Feb 06, 2013 @ 19:34
    Richard Barg

Lack of support for Courier on forums -

re: William Burnett's comment, "•Dozens of questions go unanswered, many of them important." and his general comments about forum moderating and monitoring, let;'s look at past fourm support for Courier, a key Umbraco program. The experience with Courier support (or lack thereof) on forums is an instructive example.  This apparently was a widespread problem and I note that Courier is heavily promoted Umbraco enhancement that costs 100 euros.

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-pro/courier/36957-Poor-support-for-Courier

In our case, the mea culpa below came to late. We had already paid an outside Umbraco expert thousands of dollars to clean up a broken database using Courier and to create a clean installation, one of the signature feature of that program.  We never got it to work, although we did repair out database.

Per Ploug posted this reply January 11, 2013 @ 10:55

Martin, there is really nothing else to say then, yes you are right, this forum hasnt been getting the attention (emphasis added) it deserves, and it's my fault, and my fault alone. You could always claim that there wasnt enough time or resources, that I'm busy with a ton of other stuff, but that doesn't really help any courier users, so I'll just say I'm sorry, and I'll try to do better monitoring this forum for issues. 

Also, what is the outstanding issue that you have Martin? I searched my inbox for emails from you on anything, but didnt find anything obvious, so let me know so I can look into it. 

My email is per @ umbraco.dk feel free to ping me

Feb 07, 2013 @ 15:19
    John C Scott

getting an error on the /forum/ page

Forum

Error parsing XSLT file: \xslt\forum-overview.xslt

• Tensel Heiler 4 posts 24 karma points
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 19:25
    Tensel Heiler

I purchased Umbraco Member Export Pro this morning.  When will i have access to download it?  Thanks

• Tom Janssens 2 posts 21 karma points
    Feb 08, 2013 @ 17:17
    Tom Janssens

I can't set my profile picture.

Feb 08, 2013 @ 23:52
    Richard Barg

The latest Umbraco Blog discusses enhancement to the searching system, an extension done by a community user, 

http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2013/2/8/our-umbraco-has-had-an-update.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UmbracoBlog+%28umbraco+blog%29

This is really great and meets and addresses some of the comments above, now moot since the feature requested has been added.

• Marco van Zomeren 1 post 21 karma points
    Feb 11, 2013 @ 10:36
    Marco van Zomeren

I purchased a license for uWebshop2 just now and i can configure but not generate/download it. When i do, i get "our.umbraco.org hiccuped".

• Catherine Brennan 1 post 21 karma points
    Feb 11, 2013 @ 16:36
    Catherine Brennan

I'm unable to create new downloads using files in my media section, or new uploads, without over writing the last. When I attempt to preview Error message 440 shows. Not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong. Any advice welcome.

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:30
    Sören Deger

Hi guys,

at this morning I have changed my twitter avatar on twitter. But If I click on my profile --> Your avatar --> Use your twitter avatar the avatar is not shown.... and the avatar is not updated.

• Ginger 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 19:25
    Ginger

Member locator displays an error message. "Error displaying locator results"

• Kevin R. Smith 26 posts 48 karma points
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 23:02
    Kevin R. Smith

Images from this path are missing: http://our.umbraco.org/media/upload/ from a number of pages.

Feb 12, 2013 @ 23:14
    Jan Skovgaard

@Caterine

This post is meant for reporting error here on our - the forum, not Umbraco issues itself :)

I'll urge you to create a new post where you describe your issue in more detail and let us know what version of Umbraco you're using. I don't think people will notice in here and we're not supposed to hijack the post.

/Jan

• Kevin R. Smith 26 posts 48 karma points
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 23:39
    Kevin R. Smith

our.umbraco.org/media/upload/57d73166-abe7-442e-8b07-ee5ee0fa54b9/formatting-basic.gif

Thought this would clarify my previous post.

/Kevin

Feb 13, 2013 @ 01:02
    Richard Barg

To avoid the issues above which apparently have ensnared quite a few people posting to this forum (the wrong one for substanive issues), perhaps the title (see in yellow below) should be changed (not expecting anyone to do it), but let's assume that we're living in an ideal world.

"The website Our.umbraco.org has been migrated to a new server. If you experience problems with the Umbraco forum or its related sections, please  let us know.

Feb 13, 2013 @ 01:04
    Richard Barg

Here's problem............when you click post a reply, the forum UI does not take you to the page where your posting has just been added (unless its the first page, ) - in any event that's what happened in the posting above.  

Feb 13, 2013 @ 01:18
    Jan Skovgaard

@Kevin

I think your previous post was fine - I just tried to target Caterine, since her description seems like she has an issue with an Umbraco installation of hers that she needs help for - read not something that is related to reporting our issues. I hope she sees my post so she can create a post on her own where she can get help to have her topic solved.

But keep the issues coming in here, however I'm not involved in fixing the issues :) - I'll ask Seb to have a look at this post though.

Cheers,
    Jan 

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:35
    Anthony Candaele

Hi,

I noticed, when editing a forum post, that the post appears on top of the new post list, and that the gravatar is replaced by a default gravatar.

this is the forum post I'm talking about.

greetings,

Anthony

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:51
    Dennis Aaen

Hi,

I have experienced the same scenario, as Anthony describes.

/Dennis

• siko 24 posts 77 karma points
    Feb 14, 2013 @ 08:30
    siko

People locator does not work

• Jon R. Humphrey 164 posts 455 karma points c-trib
    Feb 14, 2013 @ 15:33
    Jon R. Humphrey

kids,

search results are linking to front page.

all links click through to:

Jon

Feb 14, 2013 @ 17:22
    William Burnett

Look... at this point I know I am going to anger some folks and step on some toes but this forum is simply terrible. In fact it is by far the worst "forum" I have ever used.

• Much of the functionality is broken
    • The stuff that does work is clunky, buggy or simply cumbersome to use.
    • The editor is horrible to say the least.
    • The editor rarely worms properly in IE
    • The "code" tags barely work,  and part of the pasted "code" is often parsed anyway and rendered in the browser
    • etc....

Worse (as mentioned) numerous posts go unhelped, as time is spent HERE talking about the problems with "our" and I would bet that development hours and talent that could (should) be used in the core are wasted here trying to reinvent the wheel. In my opinion, this forum does more harm than good for the image of umbraco.

I am not blaming anybody or discounting the hard work and talent that has gone into this site and the umbraco project, but clearly this forum is not even close to being what it should be and I am baffled that time would be spent here developing "our" when that talent could be used in the core. Looking in from the outside, this really is kind of silly, yet demonstative of many of the bigger frustrations regarding this project.

While my vote counts for nothing, it would be to scrap this forum and use something that is already known to work.

Feb 14, 2013 @ 17:45
    Niels Hartvig

@William: I totally agree that there's issues with this forum - so was there with the previous ones we've had (which wasn't developed by ourselves). All of the editor issues you mention are being ironed out by community members who're in the progress of adding the same markdown editor as used by Stack Overflow and should be included in an update pretty soon.

As for whether move to a 3rd party service or swapping the general forum software has been discussed in other topics recently and not worth starting again. The consensus is that time is best on what we currently have (with the improvements that's been lately and the improvements in the pipeline).

Feb 14, 2013 @ 17:58
    William Burnett

@Niels,

Thank you (as always) for the kind response. The new editor should be a huge improvement. The search is finally getting better also. I honestly feel that if the "our" experience improves, it will help to drive traffic, and with more traffic comes more help and a better user experience for both developers and those who use they sites they develop.

Feb 14, 2013 @ 18:52
    Niels Hartvig

@William: Make no mistake - we (finally) know that it's been a buffet of FAIL that Our didn't got enough attention during the whole v5 phase + the recover-the-core phase that followed. Although I'm confident that we can, if we can't improve it enough in the near future, I'm sure the consensus at CodeGarden '13 will be to look for alternatives.

Feb 14, 2013 @ 18:57
    Richard Barg

@Niels,

Would you please consider adding navigation to the top of all Umbraco sites w/disparate subdominas that allow easy movement between them, not available now unless you go to the bottom of each page and click on tiny print. Navigation would include the main public Umbraco site, the forum sites, sites where bugs are reported etc.  In other words, any place there is an Umbraco banner, you can move between the various sites HQ has created.

Feb 14, 2013 @ 19:17
    Niels Hartvig

@Richard: There's a number of changes coming to the Umbraco sites over the next couple of months, we'll see if it still make sense for a more universal navigation between them afterwards. As for now I only believe we have Our, .tv, .com and Issues (and codeplex of course, but we can't control that one) - let me know if I've overlooked any!

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Feb 14, 2013 @ 19:30
    Funka!

In the meantime, would be great to have a new room/board for MVC. Is this something easy enough to add now or does this have to wait to be rolled in with the rest of the updates coming in the next couple of months or so?

Also on that note, there appears to be a weid "orphaned" forum/board at the very bottom of the page at http://our.umbraco.org/forum - it shows the number of topics/posts and the time/author of the last post, but doestn' have a title and isn't linked in correctly.

Thx!

Mar 02, 2013 @ 00:57
    Richard Barg

Posting on IOS (iPad) does not work. You hit the submit button and nothing happens.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft