Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Edwin van Koppen 156 posts 270 karma points
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 09:45
    Edwin van Koppen

Backend slow when publish rootnode

I've got a site with 7000 nodes now and with the publish of the rootnode it takes alot of time to publish. After looking at the Umbraco code it noticed in the publish funtion this code:

foreach (var descendant in _document.GetDescendants().Cast<Document>().Where(descendant => descendant.HasPublishedVersion()))
                                library.UpdateDocumentCache(descendant.Id);

That's where all the time i spent because it the foreach runs over every node there is. Now i don't understand why all the descendants are beeing updated? The node itself was updated, and the children, where nothing has been changed, are also being done? and it's also only the cache, not the database.

I think that Umbraco already looked at this point because it's a problem that alot of people run into. But i like to understand why things are done i some way.

Jan 24, 2013 @ 10:46
    Edwin van Koppen

I'm testing now with the loop commented out and i don't see any problems yet...

Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:46
    Edwin van Koppen

Ok now know the reason.. it's because after a unpublish all the childs get deleted from the cache. Still i think it's way to slow, isn't there a smarter way to work with this? In example with every save place the node always to the cache and add a property published? that way you don't have to delete all those nodes.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5053 posts 15508 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 16:07
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yes, I was trying to say that, they are unpublished because the parent is unpublished.

You never (ever!) want anything in the cache that is not actually published because it is WAY too easy to forget checking if a node is unpublished while you're putting content in your templates.

That said, if you can come up with a smarter way, we're all ears! :-)

Jan 29, 2013 @ 11:08
    Edwin van Koppen

Got a other solution?!

I made a extra check in the publish function so if it's already published it doens't have to run through all the children (what makes it slow), this sounds logic to me but i really like to hear Sebastiaan opinion! (and maybe he can put it also in version 6! (if it works))

protected void Publish(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
            {
                if (Page.IsValid)
                {
                    if (_document.Level == 1 || new cms.businesslogic.web.Document(_document.Parent.Id).PathPublished)
                    {
                        Trace.Warn("before d.publish");

bool alreadyPublished = (new umbraco.NodeFactory.Node(_document.Id).Id != 0);

if (_document.PublishWithResult(base.getUser()))
                        {

ClientTools.ShowSpeechBubble(speechBubbleIcon.save, ui.Text("speechBubbles", "editContentPublishedHeader", null), ui.Text("speechBubbles", "editContentPublishedText", null));
                            library.UpdateDocumentCache(_document);

littPublishStatus.Text = ui.Text("content", "lastPublished", base.getUser()) + ": " + _document.VersionDate.ToString() + "<br/>";

if (base.getUser().GetPermissions(_document.Path).IndexOf("U") > -1)
                                UnPublish.Visible = true;

_documentHasPublishedVersion = _document.HasPublishedVersion();

if (!alreadyPublished) {
                                foreach (var descendant in _document.GetDescendants().Cast<Document>().Where(descendant => descendant.HasPublishedVersion()))
                                    library.UpdateDocumentCache(descendant.Id);
                            }
                        }
                        else
                        {
                            ClientTools.ShowSpeechBubble(speechBubbleIcon.warning, ui.Text("publish"), ui.Text("speechBubbles", "contentPublishedFailedByEvent"));
                        }
                    }
                    else
                        ClientTools.ShowSpeechBubble(speechBubbleIcon.warning, ui.Text("publish"), ui.Text("speechBubbles", "editContentPublishedFailedByParent"));

// page cache disabled...
                    //            cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.ClearCacheObjectTypes("umbraco.page");

// Update links
                }
            }

Jan 30, 2013 @ 14:38
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Great idea indeed! Have a look at the last file in this commit.. ;-)

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/fdfa687e6f41

Jan 30, 2013 @ 15:36
    Edwin van Koppen

whoooh! so my comment changed Umbraco core code? Is it also in Umbraco 6?

Jan 30, 2013 @ 15:38
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Indeed it did! #h5yr! 

It is only in v6 but I'll look at porting this back to v4 as well. :)

Jan 30, 2013 @ 15:41
    Edwin van Koppen

Can you accept it as solved? Then i get karma!

Jan 30, 2013 @ 15:56
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Unfortunately only the topic starter (you) can do that! :) And not for your own topics, sorry. :)

Jan 30, 2013 @ 16:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ps. I've also ported it to v4 now, so when 4.11.4 comes out you'll be able to enjoy a faster backoffice there as well (sorry I have no release date for it yet).

Jan 31, 2013 @ 08:47
    Edwin van Koppen

thx! it's our first testsite so i'm not really into a hurry but if i want to use it i can always build my own solution offcourse! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft