Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Greg Berlin 818 posts 634 karma points
    Feb 17, 2013 @ 23:13
    Greg Berlin

Creating page doesn't set parent node correctly, sometimes

This is a weird issue I'm having on Umbraco 4.7.1.1

When my client (using either Mac OS X with Chrome or Firefox, or Windows 7 with IE or Chrome) tries to create a new page under a specific node, more often than not it creates the node but not under the parent they create it under.  As such the node publishes at the root of the site, but when you click it gives a 404 (not missing template or anything like that), or it won't publish and just shows a "#" for the published URL.  

Myself, using both Mac (all browsers) and Windows 8 (all browsers) have only been able to replicate this behaviour once, so I know it's not a chair to keyboard error.  Looking at the umbraco.config after experiencing this issue myself, I noticed it added the content node to the bottom of the file just before the /root, with a parentID="-1" and level="1".  The node looksl ike this:

<PPSOnlineCustomer id="1960" parentID="-1" level="1" writerID="0" creatorID="0" nodeType="1603" template="1604" sortOrder="115" createDate="2013-02-18T07:01:37" updateDate="2013-02-18T07:12:04" nodeName="Greg Test" urlName="greg-test" writerName="Administrator" creatorName="Administrator" path="-1,-20,1960" isDoc="">

An example of a node that is created correctly is as follows:

<PPSOnlineCustomer id="1891" parentID="1890" level="3" writerID="0" creatorID="0" nodeType="1603" template="1604" sortOrder="1" createDate="2013-01-19T19:12:27" updateDate="2013-01-27T08:04:18" nodeName="Berlin IT Services" urlName="berlin-it-services" writerName="Administrator" creatorName="Administrator" path="-1,1449,1890,1891" isDoc="">

The Umbraco instance has 3 websites under Content, so i guess that'd explain why a node at the root can't get a URL.. but the node never appears i the content tree anyway.

When i republish entire site via the content node, it removes this dodgy node from the XML completely.

Luckily i was able to replicate this issue once and thereby analyze it to a certain extent (see what ended up in the XML).  Unfortunately I didnt take a look in the database - I'll do this when my client logs on again and sees the problem again. Any suggestions as to which tables I should check would be great.

Has anybody experienced this issue before?  Any ideas what could be causing it?  I don't have any custom actions configured, just straight creation and publication of normal umbraco doc types in the content tree.  And the fact that it only happens for my client and not me makes it extra weird.

Any suggestions would be welcome as it has me a bit stumped. Seems like a framework bug to me but difficult for me to replicate, especially locally, which makes debugging it a bit of a biatch. :(

Cheers
    Greg

Feb 18, 2013 @ 02:42
    Greg Berlin

On other occassions (this just happened now) when my client creates a node, it creates it correctly with the parent set correctly etc, but the URL doesnt get set correctly in Umbraco, as per the following screenshot:

Nothing changes when my client presses "save & publish" but when i do, it publishes it fine, and creates the url etc.  I've got a DB backup in this current state so can check what is happening, i just dont know the DB well enough to figure out what is wrong.. can somebody help please??

Feb 18, 2013 @ 02:48
    Greg Berlin

Oh, and there's not much of use in the error log, only this record:

Administrator 1965 Ryan Test 18/02/2013
    12:43:18
    Error Couldn't find any page with the nodeId = 1965. This is most likely caused by the page isn't published! Parameter name: nodeId
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft