Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Feb 25, 2013 @ 19:31
    Funka!

Unexplained 404 errors on only certain pages in new 4.11.4 install

Basic site with a single "content page" document type and matching template. Template is assigned to all nodes. (Using old-school master pages, not MVC views.) The "link to document" in the backend, as well as the front-end generated main navigation, works for all pages in the site except two. It is weird that subpages work, but not the parent page. Example:

Homepage
      - Page A (gives 404!)
        - Page A1 (works fine)
        - Page A2 (works fine)
      - Page B (gives 404!)
        - Page B1 (works fine)
        - Page B2 (works fine)
      - Page C (works fine)
      - Page D (works fine)
      In fact everything else works fine.

There are no naming conflicts, every page has unique name,. no funny characters in the URL. I have tried republishing all pages, sorting all nodes, rebuilding the caceh, and still can't figure it out. It is weird that these page do occasionally work for some reason if you fiddle around enough with it, but then later they "disappear" again and give 404s.

Anyone notice anything similar? Any clue on where I should start trying to troubleshoot? I feel like I'm competent enough with Umbraco to not run into such a problem and figure out what's wrong, but I am lost with this one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 25, 2013 @ 19:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Funka

That sure is a very odd behaviour - and you're not using the API hooking into some events or something that could interfear with something?

Have you consulted the log table to see if it gives any usefull information? Could it be a server issue perhaps?

/Jan

Feb 25, 2013 @ 20:22
    Funka!

OK, weird. I did figure out how to work around this. What is weird is how the routing would "flip-flop" from sometimes serving the content page (i.e., the desired page with proper template), but would other times start trying to serve the "highlight" (which has no template and thus gives a 404).

Notice in the posted screenshot below that the naming "conflict" :

I did "fix" this by just giving the highlights unique names so they wouldn't conflict with the desired page. I believe this is a bug however in the routing, because as I mentioned it wasn't consistent from time to time, plus with how my expectations should tell me the higher node in the tree should take priority.

Thanks for looking into this!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 25, 2013 @ 20:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Funka

Glad to see you figured it out and thanks for sharing!

I agree that this really should not be an issue - have you reported it on the issue tracker? If you do so please let us know in here.

/Jan

Feb 25, 2013 @ 20:27
    Funka!

To add just a bit more to my last post, what I mean by "flip-flop" is that you could publish a node---any node---in the entire site, and then find the original content page working and showing up again... but only for a bit. You could spend two minutes surfing this site and then suddenly it would switch to the 404 again, without even having done anything further in the backend during this time. It's like Umbraco suddenly changed it's mind in what to route & serve and gets stuck like that until something else kicks it in the backend to start working again (but only for a bit!)

Thanks again!

Feb 25, 2013 @ 20:44
    Funka!

Hi Jan,

Issue U4-1780 has been created!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft