Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ted Jardine 98 posts 120 karma points
    Apr 08, 2013 @ 20:59
    Ted Jardine

v4 vs v6 performance: first byte time horrible in v6 site

I have a site that is/was running v4.0.2 (ages ago) and was admirably performant. I have since made a dev site which upgrades the site to v6.0.3. However, the performance is relatively abysmal for the v6 site so I'm wondering how to track down any potential issues.

• Site upgraded incrementally from v4.0.2 to v.6.0.3.
    • Original site used minimal server-side caching (i.e. macro caching).
    • Site switched to use Mvc layout/templating and all macros (currently only a couple) are partial macro views.
    • Trace and debug off on both sites.
    • Same compression settings on both.

In general, the site is fine except that its first byte time is 1 second on first and subsequent views! This is opposed to 460ms for first and ~350ms for subsequent views on the original v4.0.2 site. The sites are on the same server and IP. Real world impressions for the two sites are like night and day: the performance of the old site has always remarkably snappy, but the new site is significantly slower to load both on first and subsequent loads.

See http://www.webpagetest.org/result/130408_AP_10NT/ vs http://www.webpagetest.org/result/130408_EX_10JN/

While I was anticipating performance to possibly not be up to par with v6 because it's a significant change to Umbraco, I wasn't expecting such a noticable difference. Therefore, I'm thinking it must be something with my upgrading instance so I'm asking the following:

1. Without the ability to run a trace in v6 (umbDebug) that includes various component processing times, how to see if there's a particular macro or anything else that is the performance hold-up?
    2. Is anybody else noticing this significant performance drop? I hope it's only me because then I should be able to find a solution. However, if I'm not, then there's a bigger issue and there's no point me going through my implementation component by component.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft