Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Klaus Pedersen 15 posts 71 karma points
    Apr 09, 2013 @ 10:56
    Klaus Pedersen

Upgrade from 4.7.2 to 4.8 media upload error

After upgrading to 4.8 i get an error when im trying to upload media, anyone experienced this and know how to fix it 

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.FileHandlerData.set_Value(Object value) +736

umbraco.editorControls.uploadField.Save() +362

umbraco.controls.ContentControl.saveClick(Object Sender, ImageClickEventArgs e) +149

System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e) +115

System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +124

System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1724

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 09, 2013 @ 21:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Klaus

Does this happen when you use the upload datatype or when you're uploading media in the media section?

/Jan

• Bent Holz 100 posts 273 karma points
    Apr 22, 2015 @ 10:28
    Bent Holz

I'm having the same problem with a "old" 4.8 umbraco site... 

When trying to upload file as "file" or "image" I get this error

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.FileHandlerData.set_Value(Object value) +737
       umbraco.editorControls.uploadField.Save() +362
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.saveClick(Object Sender, ImageClickEventArgs e) +149
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e) +115
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +124
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +35
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1724

Apr 22, 2015 @ 10:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Crawn

Ok, so does it happen when uploading any kind of file? What type of file are you trying to upload? .png,.svg,jpeg, .webm?

And is the size larger than 4 mega byte?

/Jan

Apr 22, 2015 @ 11:39
    Bent Holz

Hi Jan

Tried png, pdf, jpg, gif... all sizes from 50k to 1 mb...

/Crawn

Apr 22, 2015 @ 17:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bent

Ok, so did this just start to act up all of the sudden? What changes were made before this started to happen? Or have it been acting like this all the time? Are there other parts of Umbraco that is acting weird? If so it might be worth checking if the webserver is running out of disk-space.

/Jan

Apr 23, 2015 @ 08:10
    Bent Holz

It started just after upgrading to 4.8... To my knowledge no other problems with Umbraco.

I would update the solution, but the site uses the integrated DB and can't find a newer version that supports this...

/Bent

Apr 23, 2015 @ 09:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bent

Hmm, what version did you upgrade from? And how did you do the upgrade? Did you merge the files in the /config/ folder as well? If not this could be the reason since some things might have changed in EmbeddedMedia.config and UmbracoSettings.config if I remember correctly.

In newer versions CE SQL is being used - Don't know if it's possible to somehow migrate from the old embedded db to CE SQL.

/Jan

Apr 23, 2015 @ 10:43
    Bent Holz

Hi Jan

I did the 4.7.2 to 4.8 upgrade (following the guide and version specific gude to the point)

/Bent

Apr 23, 2015 @ 11:33
    Bent Holz

I merged the config-folder again and now it works... Must have missed something in the first try :P

Thank you for your help Jan!

Apr 23, 2015 @ 11:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bent

Happy I could help - And happy coding! :)

/Jan

Apr 23, 2015 @ 14:09
    Bent Holz

Thanks... Will be needing it!

Just dived into Umbraco 7... OMG! Razor is killing me!

/Bent

Apr 23, 2015 @ 14:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bent

Yeah it can be uphill at time - Especially if one is used to (and comfortable) using XSLT.

But don't know if you're already using Visual Studio...but if you're not then it might be worth considering since the intellisense support helps a lot. I also think Webmatrix has some intelissense support.

I also tend to have the cheat sheet nearby when doing Razor https://our.umbraco.org/FileDownload?id=8865

Hope it can help a bit :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft